Yet another Introduction from a crunchbang user

Forum rules
We believe in Hello and Thank You.
doxanthropos
Troll

Yet another Introduction from a crunchbang user

Unread post by doxanthropos » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:29 pm

Hello to the BBQ-community!

In the last months I thought I had been settled and grown a lazy kind of comfortable with the default #1. That's what I use exclusively (aside from having to use W7 once in a while at work). Not much fooling around with the window managers anymore and distrohopping lost its allure after having seen a great deal of what is out there.
So when I first read about BBQ, I thought not much of it. Just a bunch of debian spinoffs. One gets to know a lot of them, over time.
But it seems I underestimated the creativity of the people here (especially Machinebacon, who does awesome things here). Yesterday I had a first look at the list of editions and it blew my mind. So many cool ideas, even more than one variant of an emacs-centric linux (I had wondered quite some time, why nobody made one).

The forum seems to be a nice place too. Nice people with interesting discussions. So I will come here often in the future, I think. But like in the #! forum, I am more a reader than a writer.

A big thanks to all contributors to this cool project!

slartie
Grump

Re: Yet another Introduction from a crunchbang user

Unread post by slartie » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:35 pm

C-x C-f
~/welcome_to_the_grill.bbq RET
*** Welcome to the grill. We're all a bit nuts'o.
C-x C-c

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:44 pm

Hello doxanthropos, welcome to the grill!

Nice things you wrote, thanks for the kind words. I would also like to praise the stuff that comes from the forums members - it's their ideas that actually make a new release, and things like the Emacs spins are heavily inspired by slartie, DebianJoe and xaos (in this timely order), and the really unique Gangbang would have never come true without Pidsley's great prep job on it. I just happened to put these things together, and I love doing it. Apart from that, it's just to prove that 98% of the distros are overrated (or simply take themselves extremely seriously), and that we often have to shake heads when we read release announcements, for example at distrowatch. "Proud to announce", "is now available", "features this and that office suite" - it's all big bullshit, a huge bubble. The BBQ wants to uncover the myths and show the truth :D (next release should be LinuxBBQ Wallraff)

So, for what it's worth, feel free to "think aloud" (as we German's say), it might end up as release :) Thank you in advance ;)
..gnutella..

DebianJoe
Frame Buffer

Unread post by DebianJoe » Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:30 pm

Welcome to the BBQ. Where cynicism becomes distributions in a strange alchemy.

I thought the same thing when I first arrived here. "Why so much Debian?" Then I started playing with some of these spins. They're fun.
|>>BBQ Roaster, Alpha Branch<< | >> clinky << | >> X11 must die << |
Thanks BASIC

vic
Godot

Unread post by vic » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:45 pm

Welcome to the BBQ doxanthropos, go find your treat, or just roast yourself one.

Titan
なまいき

Unread post by Titan » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:58 pm

Welcome doxanthropos to the BBQ.

Theres plenty of interesting stuff here, so make sure to check the forums for interesting scripts and tips.
* Be fat, be as fat as you fucking please, just don't sit next to me on an aeroplane.
* "The sun never sets on the British Empire...." "Yeah, well, the sun never sets on my asshole!!"
* I am an "old skool" administrator who has been managing UNIX and Linux systems since the early 80s <-- big fkin lol

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:25 pm

A nice intro.

Reading is not a crime. Welcome to the fire corner! We have the Coal and the Bacon.

Have a nice stay.

dkeg
Configurator

Unread post by dkeg » Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:21 am

Nice into. Welcome to the yard dox.

Work hard; Complain less

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:53 am

Welcome.
Plenty of stuff to play with and learn from here.

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:36 am

welcome!
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

bones
Clooney

Unread post by bones » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:04 pm

Welcome to the grill, doxanthropos!