BOOK! (Hardcopy edition)

Forum rules
We believe in Hello and Thank You.
wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Re: BOOK! (Hardcopy edition)

Unread post by wuxmedia » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:11 am

Mar 19 16:31:05 WY_LIB_89234 ILL-REQ: ** Gogol "Dead Souls" REF: 293298689d/DW -> Dr_chroot@home Red Flagged "Commie sunuvabitch"
found this in the NSA log bin... :P

on topic - I've been reading:
cat.gif
cat.gif (22.17 KiB) Viewed 5575 times
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:31 am

Whenever I am on holiday, I like to visit those little book shops people usually forget about. Since Amazon in Italy has become more popular than ever lately, small stores are closing every month. A real shame, because I like going through books (and records) looking for something new without browsing dull web pages.

Anyway, La Storia is an Italian classic that has been waiting in my to-read list for way too long.

pidsley
Hermit

Unread post by pidsley » Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:49 pm

^ I used to love haunting the used book shops in the "U district" (the streets close to the University of Washington) -- I always came out with something I didn't expect going in. There is a large used bookstore here, but it is a pita to go there. Not so many smaller bookstores, so I rely on the library.

In other news, I watched "Case Histories" on PBS; quite good, IMO, in part because Jason Isaacs. Catch "Awake" if you can -- another TV series dead before its time.

But ^this belongs in the TV thread. I post here because I found the novel the series is based on.

As usual, the book is completely different from the TV series, but Atkinson writes beautiful prose. I am always alert for writers who use language in their own unique way (see Paul Auster for my gold standard.) An example:

"And then Shirley picked up the receiver and dialed 999 and when the operator answered she started screaming hysterically, you would think she was the best actress in the world, and then finally she replaced the receiver and they waited for the police to come. The bug had fallen asleep on the floor. It was very cold and Michelle would have liked to clean up a bit for the police coming, but she didn't have the energy. Finally, they heard the sound of a siren, and then another, amd the noise of the police cars bumping their way along the farm track, and Michelle said to Shirley, 'You never had any chocolate cake.'"

The entire book is like that -- run-on sentences, then stop; all wound around interesting characters and intricate plot. And like Auster's novels it just ends, with no real resolution, leaving you wondering what might happen next.

Amazing. I need to find her other books now.

bones
Clooney

Unread post by bones » Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:57 pm

Reading this one right now. Neal Stephenson is one of my favorite authors, and this book is 1042 pages.
Attachments
index.jpg
index.jpg (10.59 KiB) Viewed 5547 times

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:24 pm

^^ thanks for sharing a bit of the writing style. i like that, too. it is like a less messy version of Kerouac or Hunter S. Thompson or something (off-kilter writing styles i am somewhat familiar with). a lot more readable this than those two anyway :)
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:05 am

Interesting Pidsley. I like Auster too, but never heard of Atkinson.

pidsley
Hermit

Unread post by pidsley » Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:43 am

Thanks to ninjalulz for recommending this one.

http://www.amazon.com/American-Desert-P ... 0786869178

pidsley
Hermit

Unread post by pidsley » Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:46 am

And thanks to GekkoP for recommending this one.

I am only partway through it, but I already know I need to read her other books.

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:48 am

^ Glad you like it. :)

pidsley
Hermit

Unread post by pidsley » Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:49 am

And I have just started this one. (Yes, I read more than one book at a time -- you gotta problem with that?)

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Thu May 07, 2015 7:19 pm

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Tue May 12, 2015 9:46 am

^ For anyone interested, that is a very good book. It maybe needs to be paired with another introduction to the language, but the second part of the book with the training plan is proving to be very useful.

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Fri May 15, 2015 2:54 pm

Delightful read.
Also available for free here: http://gabriellacoleman.org/Coleman-Coding-Freedom.pdf

stark
MILF

Unread post by stark » Fri May 15, 2015 3:31 pm

^ Thank You !
If you can do it go ahead and do it, if you can't do it then don't even criticize it. - gingerdesu

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Fri May 22, 2015 11:09 am

bones
Clooney

Unread post by bones » Fri May 22, 2015 12:47 pm

I've been meaning to read Coding Freedom, thanks for the PDF link, gekko.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Fri May 22, 2015 2:21 pm

http://www.amazon.com/The-Life-Changing ... 1607747308
The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing

http://www.amazon.com/Sell-Be-Sold-Your ... 608322564/
Sell or Be Sold: How to Get Your Way in Business and in Life

http://www.amazon.com/10X-Rule-Differen ... 470627603/
The 10X Rule: The Only Difference Between Success and Failure

If anyone is interested in the PDFs/ePub, please PM.
..gnutella..

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Fri May 22, 2015 3:03 pm

Jules, y u no listen to Meatbeard telling you what to do!?!? ---> https://stallman.org/amazon.html
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Fri May 22, 2015 3:22 pm

@rhow: I knew about Stallman feelings about Amazon. And I know he's going to hate my white ass for what I am going to write next.

I buy a lot of books from Amazon. A lot.
Not (only) because they cost less (up to 25% less). I still go to bookshops whenever I can, of course (same thing I do for records).
I read many books written in English and not only because the Italian translation isn't always available. I like reading in English when English is the native language of the writer. Most of the time I just can't find the book I want in the bookshops, so I have to buy online.
Since I also buy dvds and blurays I usually make an order with books and blurays from Amazon, knowning that I am going to pay less and the delivery will be quick and nice.
I already do the right thing buying all the books, films and records I love without relying only on download. RMS should understand. :)

bones
Clooney

Unread post by bones » Fri May 22, 2015 3:34 pm

I've been an Amazon customer for years, also buy a lot from them. No apologies to RMS. :D