BOOK! (Hardcopy edition)

Forum rules
We believe in Hello and Thank You.
machinebacon
Baconator

Re: BOOK! (Hardcopy edition)

Unread post by machinebacon » Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:06 pm

Good point. Identity could be part of anthropology, then. Something like how a certain culture, its traditions, its music, its religion, its tales influence ones own identity. Thanks for mentioning this, adds a bit of colour :)
..gnutella..

pidsley
Hermit

Unread post by pidsley » Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:00 pm

I am only part-way through this book, but I have already learned several interesting things I did not know. For example, I knew that Edward Teller was a Hungarian Jew, but I learned that Theodore von Karman, John von Neumann, and Eugene Wigner* were all Hungarian (and Jewish). I also learned that the Hungarian language (or more properly magyar) is a "Finno-Ugric" language, with grammar and name construction very different from Indo-European languages (Wigner's name in magyar is "Wigner Jenő Pál" and von Karman is "Szőllőskislaki Kármán Tódor").

Also lots of fascinating history from the very early days of digital computing and the Institute for Advanced Study at Princeton. Written by George Dyson, the son of Freeman Dyson*.

*If you don't recognize these names, I will have to confiscate your nerd card.

"We are Martians who have come to Earth to change everything -- and we are afraid we will not be so well received. So we try to keep it a secret, try to appear as Americans...but that we could not do, because of our accent. So we settled in a country nobody has every heard about and now we are claiming to be Hungarians." -- Edward Teller

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:55 am

*hands in nerd-card to Pidsley* - you deserve it more than i do bro. no idea who these people are.
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:32 am

^^ Looks awesome to me. Added to my wishlist (I'll never get to the end of it, I'm sure)

hinto
Forums Hottie

Unread post by hinto » Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:49 pm

-Hinto
"A human being should be able to... butcher a hog..." -Robert Heinlein

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:56 pm

offtopic()
{
@pidsley, thanks for the spotlight ;)

Hungarian history should actually be split in three parts:
1) most recently, in late 890 AD, the conquest of the Karpathian Basin. Some researchers report that there were probably two waves, the other one around 600AD into a territory that had some existing population.
2) The period around 500-860 AD in which the different (seven?) Hungarian tribes moved from a territory called Etelkoz towards West
3) and the "original" homeland of the Magyars in the territory of today's Xinjiang province in China, around 2600 years ago. The Jews were already in (today's) Hungarian territory at that time (around 200AD). Greetings to the Romans.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of ... in_Hungary

This is maybe the biggest problem of Hungarians: the lack of a real homeland or identity. The language is classified as "Finno-Ugric" though it has nothing to do with Finnish, the former territory of Greater Hungary is now under foreign administration ("Treaty of Trianon"), the genetical mish-mash of 1000 years, the aftermath of 60 years Communist mismanagement, the parallel societies with Jews and Gypsies without the will of mutual integration... all of these are reasons why nobody wanted (and wants) to live in Hungary - just like the gentlemen you mentioned before :)
}
..gnutella..

kiiroitori
dpkg-reconfigure

Unread post by kiiroitori » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:19 am

I have started this book and I'll be reading it for a while because of the number of pages and the writing style that prevents fast reading. I am expecting to know more about machinebacon psyche and be able to picture him more accurately in his chinese environment after having read the book.

linuxbbq
Oyster-Slurper

Unread post by linuxbbq » Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:43 am

^ Bacon lives in a cloud of smoke between flat-chested MILFs. You can imagine how fucked up his psyche is :)
Trailing whitespace? Give me a fucking break, and save me from "experts" and "C-language lawyers."

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:23 am

kudos if you can get insight into his psyche. i have known him for a couple of years now and still can't always grasp the sickening depths of his mind. all i know is that he is one of the "good guys", whatever that means ;)
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:41 am

..gnutella..

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:40 pm

Just ordered these two:
shcloj2_xlargecover.jpg
shcloj2_xlargecover.jpg (16.36 KiB) Viewed 17025 times
9781617291418_p0_v2_s260x420.JPG
9781617291418_p0_v2_s260x420.JPG (13.55 KiB) Viewed 17025 times
Need to catch up with IT-business and update my CV.

twoion
Mr. Saggy Tits

Unread post by twoion » Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:30 pm

Once again, I ventured out to grasp yet another idea of Western European philosophy and thought. It is magnificent: however, I do not whether whether an English translation exists that is even remotely on par with this very fine piece of writing; to-day, one can only seldom find a new book (I haven't, and I doubt they exist) in which the German language is used with such great analytical accuracy while still coming out as beautiful.

Oswald Spengler 〜 The Downfall of the Occident: Attempt at a Morphology of World History, 1922 edition.

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Sun Sep 14, 2014 3:30 pm

^ Oh yeah. Something I have to lecture for my students.

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:56 am

^ woah! Thanks.

p120d16y
Haxxor

Unread post by p120d16y » Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:08 am

I have another Nesbo novel to finish, but in the meantime I've started Pevear December 2nd, 2008 Vintage Classics version of Tolstoy's War and Peace. Excellent so far, very large, and I've already been a fan. Read Karenina a couple years ago and recently finished The Death of Ivan Ilyich.
I'm planning on Crime and Punishment - Dostoyevsky, next, because I'm a masochist.

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:48 am

^ Good election.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:45 pm

Got a book today as gift: The Caves of Dunhuang

It cover the topics around the Dunhuang manuscripts (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunhuang_manuscripts) and the findings of caves like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mogao_Caves

Nice food for people interested in archaeology.
..gnutella..

pidsley
Hermit

Unread post by pidsley » Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:35 am

More interesting than it sounds, this is a fascinating look at the global scrap-metal market. Lots of interesting stuff about China.

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:45 pm

Another birthday present. Someone must really know me well.