BOOK! (Hardcopy edition)

Forum rules
We believe in Hello and Thank You.
machinebacon
Baconator

Re: BOOK! (Hardcopy edition)

Unread post by machinebacon » Fri May 22, 2015 4:59 pm

rhowaldt wrote:Jules, y u no listen to Meatbeard telling you what to do!?!? ---> https://stallman.org/amazon.html
Of course I didn't buy these titles from amazon (remember, i am in China where you get everything for a tenth of the price as copy), but it was the only 'working and easy' way to link the shit visually and with ISBN.

RMS eats toenails, I prefer spicy beef slices with Sichuan pepper, bean sprouts, a cold beer, a cucumber salad with a load of garlic on top, some dumplings and a cold chicken salad to it. To each his own :)
..gnutella..

simgin
Meme Fodder

Unread post by simgin » Fri May 22, 2015 8:47 pm

^ Julius you sound healthier :)
Someone told me that I am delusional, I almost fell off my unicorn.

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Fri May 22, 2015 11:35 pm

RMS' take on things is only relevant if you really care about Freedom. of course RMS doesn't care that much about Freedom in general, just about Digital Freedom. that is why he rages against Amazon and Facebook and the like, but not so much against, well, every other fucking thing in life that somehow inhibits us from doing whatever the fuck we want. so RMS' take on things is only relevant if you really care about Digital Freedom. if not (and i don't, particularly, because i think anything inevitable will come to pass anyway at some point in time, and trying to force change through is too much faff for me), then buy wherever the fuck you like. obviously, since Amazon needs to use a business model that actually makes people want to buy from them, there are a lot of good things to say about the company - probably as many as there are bad things to say. so either way, this just comes down to a simple decision, and we all know it's best not to let those be made by anyone else but you.
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

simgin
Meme Fodder

Unread post by simgin » Sat May 23, 2015 5:58 am

^ Amen Rho :)
Someone told me that I am delusional, I almost fell off my unicorn.

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Tue May 26, 2015 2:17 pm

Image Image

A friend from the US is staying in Italy for a while and brought me this as a present. 1941 edition of Steinbeck's The Grapes of Wrath. Those are not my photos, but it is exactly that edition. Awesome gift.

Take that Amazon! ;)

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Wed May 27, 2015 9:47 pm

RMS thanks you and your friend from the bottom of his filthy heart.
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

bones
Clooney

Unread post by bones » Thu May 28, 2015 1:00 pm

^^ Wow, that's very cool, good book.

Dr_Chroot
Alfalfa

Unread post by Dr_Chroot » Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:38 pm

Thought provoking 4,300 word short story by the same author of Shogun and Gai-Jin. Easily read aloud in 15 minutes, perfect for a book club or such to instigate dialogue.

Fantastic work on the political tactics and personality of Abraham Lincoln. Well worth the time to read; about half-way through.

Fight internet censorship.
EFF | Tor Project | Bitcoin

"There have been times throughout American history where what is right is not the same as what is legal. Sometimes to do the right thing you have to break the law." - Edward Snowden

Dr_Chroot
Alfalfa

Unread post by Dr_Chroot » Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:41 pm

Just finished The Idiot last night. Quite a nice piece of literature, really. I liked it better than Notes From the Underground, but perhaps not as much as Crime and Punishment or The Brothers Karamazov. The protagonist is Dostoevsky's conception of the "perfect" man and his interactions in the society of that day. Interesting concept to think about: how would you describe such a person? How would he respond the the dramas of everyday life? How would society see that person as? I very much enjoyed it and would have loved to know how Dostoevsky would have described Prince Myshkin if he was living in our modern era.

And then I just started this one, Bach: Music in the Castle of Heaven. I love Sir J.E. Gardiner's interpretations of much of Bach's works and I have enjoyed some of his work with the Monteverdi Choir and English Baroque Soloists. His perspective on Bach from the eyes of a conductor himself really makes the book quite nice (at least so far ;) I am only a chapter into it, though, so time will tell...

"There have been times throughout American history where what is right is not the same as what is legal. Sometimes to do the right thing you have to break the law." - Edward Snowden

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:59 pm

thanks for that, useful information to have. i've never finished anything by Dostojevski - yet. have you read "Godel, Escher, Bach", Dr?

Dr_Chroot
Alfalfa

Unread post by Dr_Chroot » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:34 am

I have not read Hofstadter's book but I have heard great things about it. I am definitely planning on looking at it in the near future :)

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:17 am

indeed, it is very good :)

elixir
Weight Watcher

Unread post by elixir » Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:54 pm

You all recommend such great books. I cannot wait until I have a break from university so I can actually sit down and take a look at some of these :)
Out of the corner of your eye you spot him... Shia LaBeouf.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0u4M6vppCI

pidsley
Hermit

Unread post by pidsley » Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:11 am

Trying to work my way through this one. It's 700 pages and there is a lot of math mixed in with the history, so we will see if I make it.

I am also reading some light fiction, and have plans to re-read the Utilitarian philosophers (Bentham and Mill) but who knows. At the very least I will pull this one off my shelf and read it again:

And I need to find another copy of this and read it again. If you have never read any John McPhee, just pick any one of his books and start there.

Where is pidsley? On the couch with an interesting book.

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:55 am

@pids: i had a similar problem with the maths in Godel, Escher, Bach. i simply kept reading while trying to at least understand the gist of what was being said during the maths-chapters. it took some effort, but it worked. i think if you find the book interesting, maybe do the same thing: skip over most of it, but keep going :)

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:04 pm

A lovely collection of thoughts and tips about writing.

pidsley
Hermit

Unread post by pidsley » Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:42 am

elixir
Weight Watcher

Unread post by elixir » Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:46 am

Looks interesting, pidsley. I might give that one a try. It still amazes me about what we grow up with and what food sources are available truly shapes the foods we like to eat.
Out of the corner of your eye you spot him... Shia LaBeouf.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0u4M6vppCI

pidsley
Hermit

Unread post by pidsley » Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:53 am

pidsley
Hermit

Unread post by pidsley » Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:59 pm