Android Web Browsers

Forum rules
We believe in Hello and Thank You.
kexolino
Common Boob

Android Web Browsers

Unread post by kexolino » Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:19 pm

I've been experimenting a little with them lately, and I tried the plain ole' stock Android browser, Chrome, Firefox and Opera.
On my phone (Sony Ericsson Xperia Mini Pro) Opera is the worst (bad speed and clunky UI that takes up too much space), then comes Chrome, which to me is pretty much the same as the stock browser, maybe a little prettier, but a lot slower, so not my choice either.
The stock browser and Firefox are the two that I switch between all the time now. The stock browser is, well, stock, so there's nothing special about it, it has OK speed and an OK interface.
I love how Firefox looks and behaves, and it's a lot faster than the other 3 too, my only problem with it is that it still feels like it's just beta (it has no text wrapping, font size is all over the place, etc.).
So, what do you people use?

dkeg
Configurator

Re: Android Web Browsers

Unread post by dkeg » Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:13 pm

chrome,
next browser,
opera.

thought FF pretty much sucked ass

Work hard; Complain less

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:37 pm

last time i used FF it took frikkin ages to startup. I don't think I even bothered to load a page..
I just use chrome.
I used opera for a bit - that was Ok but I don't have a lot of room in my tablet.
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

kexolino
Common Boob

Unread post by kexolino » Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:59 pm

Yeah, a month ago I removed FF after about 2 minutes too... Now it works fine.

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:01 pm

yes, this was sometime ago.
TBH I'm all synced up in google's ass anyway, so...

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:05 pm

doesn't this also depend on your carrier and phonemodel and Android version? i don't think i even have the stock browser, i just have Chrome and it works great.
i used to use Dolphin, which was way better than the stock browser at least.
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:31 am

I'm using UCbrowser if I don't accidentally go Chrome, and it works quite well - FF was a pain when it was in Beta, but the newest one wasn't all that bad. Opera is a pain. Dolphin I tried too but never found it a real improvement. Galaxy Tab PT 1000, Gingerbread
..gnutella..

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:12 am

oh yes, for me it is HTC One, Android 4.3 (IceCream Sandwich, i believe...)
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:33 am

wikipedo wrote:2.14 Android 4.0–4.0.2 Ice Cream Sandwich (API level 14)
2.15 Android 4.0.3–4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich (API level 15)
2.16 Android 4.1 Jelly Bean (API level 16)
2.17 Android 4.2 Jelly Bean (API level 17)
2.18 Android 4.3 Jelly Bean (API level 18)
2.19 Android 4.4 KitKat (API level 19)
one of these? 8P

Acer Iconia B1 - Android 4.2

dkeg
Configurator

Unread post by dkeg » Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:07 pm

I just made next browser my default. And it has pocket !

Work hard; Complain less

kexolino
Common Boob

Unread post by kexolino » Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:37 pm

oh yeah, I forgot too add too, I run Cyanogenmod 9.1 (Android 4.0.4). It's significantly less bloated than Sony's rom

bones
Clooney

Unread post by bones » Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:41 pm

Android 2.3.6, stock browser. Thought about trying something else, but as I don't www on my phone much, I don't care.

ninjalulz
Window Manager

Unread post by ninjalulz » Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:19 am

Chrome, I have Google all up in my ass with it on everything with the option. Runs excellent on my phone, LG Nexus 4 on Kitkat.

bizcuit
Gangbanger

Unread post by bizcuit » Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:02 pm

One called Lightning, no ads, has a text-only mode, easy to block images in the settings on/off, switch off or enable javascript, search in page feature, block 3rd party cookies. Lotsa goodness, lotsa people have downloaded it etc. Really haven't fully explored all it can do. In the about section of it, says it's based on a Mozilla v2 license.

This also brings up one of my pet peeves, prefetching. Not sure if Chrome does it as extensively on mobile but wouldn't be surprised in the least. Been meaning to see what Firefox tweaks I can apply in about:config settings on the mobile browser. Also just found out there's a mobile version of noscript for FF.

I'd tried it ( FF mobile) and liked it well enough. But had mostly abandoned it to look for lighter ones. Going to reinstall it soon though and actually take the time to learn to use and tweak the thing. Been using FF too long to just give up on it, esp due to laziness or ignorance.

Am sure plenty of tweaks I'd learned on desktop are still valid on the mobile platform. Just didn't want to spend the time to learn proper optimization of it on mobile.

Agree with you on many of the bigger name mobile browsers. Too much crap packed into their UI's. Out of the box probably using way more resources and data than I'd find acceptable and for all that not even keeping pace in terms of speed. No thanks. So for now Lightning is staying primary and plan to add FF, as backup unless/until I can manage to tweak it to be better than the rest the pack.

Lol ... at which time the good ole fox would regain it's status as Alpha browser. Also +1 Machine on UC browser, it was #2 for awhile here. Liked it fine still always looking for greener pastures and will keep on looking.

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:10 pm

Used Lightning and a similar browser on my older phone. It was relatively painless but on the new one I switched to Firefox. It just supports more sites I browse and I love that I can use uBlock on it. It still is slow as hell compared to Chrome and some lighter browsers but at least it uses less resources and gives me an ad blocker. I also still dislike webkit browsers.

FF has this read mode that I finally use, on mobile it makes sense, and a nice tab switching mode.
Other than that I hate browsing the internet on a phone. It is mostly news sites.

bizcuit
Gangbanger

Unread post by bizcuit » Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:41 pm

Update: Starting to wonder if I'll get the chance to mess with FF mobile. Stumbled on some fairly recent stats and looks like Mozilla is in trouble. Their browser market share has been dropping like a stone for quite awhile. Starting to look like Chrome is the new IE, arghhhhhh. Pushing the competitors out on mobile and desktop.

Damn google, making Chrome default on most Android devices. Smart move though sheesh. Hoping it doesn't become a Microsoft/IE situation like it was for a long time. Only with Google in the drivers seat.

Nooooooooo, my opinion of Chrome mobile ( well and Chrome desktop) is that they both suck for the most part, shrugs. Though Mozilla's code is open source, guess somebody will keep it alive in whatever form. Just worried that if market share drops too far, Mozilla might not be able to afford to keep putting resources into dev'ing it. At least to the same extent, as they have up till now. No more FF !?!!?

Noooooooooooooooooooo ! again. :/

bizcuit
Gangbanger

Unread post by bizcuit » Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:16 pm

More random babble, ironically Mozilla no doubt still gets lucrative revenues from Google Inc. Though it's got to be falling off, Firefox's market share is set to hit single digits, if it hasn't already. Gotta hurt going from 25%+ to 8-9% and projected to continue declining.

Personally would like to see Moz adopt a more agreesive stance in terms of ootb configs/settings. Always noticed FF's tendency to be more conservative, so basically think FF tends to ask or leave it to end-users to tweak settings, whereas Chrome just tends to take liberties. Appropriating sys-resources and more aggressive default configs.

Don't know why it isn't standard for Moz to incorporate a script or whatever which could run during the install process and optimize for the target system/device.

Stuff like that's been feasible forever. Doesn't make much sense to me to have the most configable web browser on the dang planet but leave it mostly to endusers to optimize it all for themselves. Guessing it's news to nobody people tend to be lazy.

noo_b_nomnoms
MILF

Unread post by noo_b_nomnoms » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:46 am

I use Orfox with Orbot (Tor). Works pretty well for me. Otherwise Chrome on a Kyocera Brigadier.
Sir! Put down the hammer and slowly step away from the computer.