dkeg wrote:bones is like 'yo, step aside bitch, I got this'
haha :D indeed!
..gnutella..

bones
Clooney

Re: show us your iron

Unread post by bones » Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:26 pm

dkeg wrote:bones is like 'yo, step aside bitch, I got this'
Haha, I wish! My co-worker and I joked about doing some Bitcoin mining with this hardware. :D

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:04 am

nothing changed about my iron, but didnt know where else i would post this so here it is.
moved in with my GF but didnt have a good place to use my laptop. have been using it on the kitchen counter but it is such a non-ergonomical setup that my back and neck started to hurt real fast. so yesterday i had a moment of genius and built a standing desk out of items already present in the household. this setup uses a chair, 4 planks (part of a 4-part painting on wood), a cardboard box and a book. i love it :)
IMAG3381.jpg
IMAG3382.jpg
and the final version where the mouse is also elevated.
IMAG3384.jpg
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:30 am

^ awesome recycling, I love it.

simgin
Meme Fodder

Unread post by simgin » Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:15 am

Hehe, brilliant rho :D
Someone told me that I am delusional, I almost fell off my unicorn.

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:17 am

GF: "hmm, now where'd Rhowsie-poesy put that painting... and where's my favourite yoga chair? O-O AAARGH! MEN!"

So the keyboard is counterweighted just by the external HDD? at least the cat won't get on the keyboard this time :)
I'd have probably wedged the plank in between the two lateral bits on the chair base, you might also get more ergonomic keyboard - notice the slight back tilt:
ergonomic.jpg
otherwise - well hacked, Sir.
The plasma TV is sitting on two horizontal floorstanding speakers right now, to get it up to decent height, so I can't talk. :)

EDIT: Can see you don't use vim at all, any touch on either extreme end of the keyboard and you're techdecking... :p
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

dkeg
Configurator

Unread post by dkeg » Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:21 am

reminds me of this ... had a picture with what wux just posted with
how-to-sit-correctly-2.jpg

Work hard; Complain less

simgin
Meme Fodder

Unread post by simgin » Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:39 am

^ lol, no hope for the human race :D
Someone told me that I am delusional, I almost fell off my unicorn.

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:33 pm

thanks guys, i was pretty happy with it myself :)

Wux, the final image shows the improvement i make where the keyboard is supported along its entire length, so no more annoying movement there.
the plank sticking out is held down by another plank, and i put the external hd on top of that for even more counterweight. the plank itself already provided quite a lot, but had to leave my hd somewhere and through this method i could still connect it to my laptop, because the hd has an insanely short (what, 20cm?) usb cable.

the shitty thing with setups like this is that you need to find stuff in the house that actually fits together. for example, my first plan was to use a small ironing board for a keyboard stand, but it turned out to be just 1cm too wide to fit between the legs of the chair. damn. so i went with the plank setup instead.
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:51 am

Image Image Image

Got this handy thing. My Dell Inspiron's fan goes crazy sometimes (especially when CIDER, lein, Jetty and Firefox are up for Clojure development), so I needed a way to let some air in and not get it all overheated.

Titan
なまいき

Unread post by Titan » Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:55 pm

@rho - I read an article that standing desks are much better for your overall health on the long run. According to the article the participants blood pressure was lower, joints felt less stiff. The participant claimed head,neck and back pain were almost gone by the end of the first week and she felt like she had much more energy throughout the day.
Im thinking of trying it myself as my desk is almost 4 feet off the ground and i have a wireless keyboard and mouse for my laptop.

@ Gekko - where did you get that thing? my laptop has the same issues as yours.
* Be fat, be as fat as you fucking please, just don't sit next to me on an aeroplane.
* "The sun never sets on the British Empire...." "Yeah, well, the sun never sets on my asshole!!"
* I am an "old skool" administrator who has been managing UNIX and Linux systems since the early 80s <-- big fkin lol

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:04 pm

^ From Amazon: http://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B007BD1 ... ge_o00_s00

It's a bit expensive but it's light and solid, easy to take around with your laptop.

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:50 pm

my laptop is the same - good idea indeed.

@titan: yes, been thinking about that for a while now. don't really know how to pull it off though, would have to actually buy a new desk or something and dont really have the money right now. but indeed, will remember, thanks for the reminder :)

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:52 pm

Get yourself a keyboard stand, rho. https://s.taobao.com/search?q=%E7%94%B5 ... 16&ie=utf8

Sitting is deadly, so titan is right!
..gnutella..

Titan
なまいき

Unread post by Titan » Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:36 pm

@ Gekko - found one on UK amazon, £20, not bad. I will consult my accountant and ask if we can afford this.

@ Rho - Im sure you could google standing desks and build something. I will be using the picture wux linked along with a tape measure to measure my current workspace and work out what i need to do to try this.
machinebacon wrote:Sitting is deadly, so titan is right!
pfft, I'm always right :P
* Be fat, be as fat as you fucking please, just don't sit next to me on an aeroplane.
* "The sun never sets on the British Empire...." "Yeah, well, the sun never sets on my asshole!!"
* I am an "old skool" administrator who has been managing UNIX and Linux systems since the early 80s <-- big fkin lol

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:01 am

^ damn, so am i!

will have a look, thanks for the tips and links :)

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:54 pm

GekkoP wrote:^ From Amazon: http://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B007BD1 ... ge_o00_s00

It's a bit expensive but it's light and solid, easy to take around with your laptop.
I use one of those:

http://www.amazon.de/AVANTEK-Notebook-S ... B00L36CEYU

But I bought it in Spain for only 10 Euros, of course made in China :) but it works perfectly. Though we all just should clean the damn laptop from all the dust.

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Thu Sep 17, 2015 4:50 pm

^ actually tried cleaning the dust out, with little to no real effect. i fear this thing is just starting to get old and might just fall apart at some point. dunno. am a bit more vigilant about backups now ;)

rust collector
Motörhead

Unread post by rust collector » Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:12 pm

I have this idea, that packard bell used the most crappy cooling pads you can find.
I have no evidense, but...
A good scrub, and some real cooling pads, or paste might let it live a bit longer?
Last edited by rust collector on Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:21 pm

not gonna go into all that, too much effort. perhaps your theory is right. i think my next laptop might be a different make (although other than this horrid noise, the laptop is great, i think)

edit: oh yeah, except for the shitty webcam that isn't properly supported on Linux