show us your iron

Forum rules
We believe in Hello and Thank You.
gurtid
Uninstaller

Re: show us your iron

Unread post by gurtid » Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:36 am

Yeah, I like the dc series too pids.

I have a bunch of harddrives at work I swap in and out of work pcs when I have an opportunity to have a play. Here's a dc7800 running Bakewell, Manjaro-box, elementary, Lubuntu 13.10, Ubuntu 13.10 and Pear 8.

Also A coupla more pix from work. A bunch of dc7800s, 8000s, and 8200s. Oh and . . . and some servers
Attachments
Photo058.jpg
Photo055.jpg
Photo056.jpg
The Beaver Destroys Forests

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:17 am

gurtid, what the heck are those things on your wall at work? batteries or something?

nice radio pids.
looks like the Sony Viao i had working is still working.
will post pix once i work out how to from my phone.
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

gurtid
Uninstaller

Unread post by gurtid » Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:58 am

@wux - those are Allen Bradley plc racks containing various AB processors, modules etc

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:09 am

i got 5 of those HP DC series machines at home. oh no, four, gave one of them away to my friend. they are nice indeed.
@gurtid: nice Cobra artwork on your wall i see ;)
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

DebianJoe
Frame Buffer

Unread post by DebianJoe » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:23 am

@ Gurtid: PLC programmer? If so, then we have a great deal in common. (I mostly use Omron, Seimens, and Yaskawa...but have used some Allen Bradley before.)
|>>BBQ Roaster, Alpha Branch<< | >> clinky << | >> X11 must die << |
Thanks BASIC

fog
Mr. Saggy Tits

Unread post by fog » Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:35 pm

Image Image

My "old" pc (from 2008, amd 2.5GHz,2GB ram, 500GB), my thinkpad e320(i5,8GB ram, 320 hdd) and my nexus 7 (2013, 32GB).
bones wrote:Work machines, both custom builds from a local guy, both with AMD Athlon 2000+ processors. The one on the left has Slackware 14.1 (32-bit), the one on the right has "n00b ki11ah" and "Arrogance" (pictured).
I like my photo in your desktop :)
I’m not antisocial, I’m just not user friendly.
photos || blog || dArt

bones
Clooney

Unread post by bones » Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:02 pm

fog wrote:I like my photo in your desktop :)
On my T61, I'm currently using your bee & chamomile photo. You do very nice work.

fog
Mr. Saggy Tits

Unread post by fog » Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:16 pm

Thank you :)
I’m not antisocial, I’m just not user friendly.
photos || blog || dArt

gurtid
Uninstaller

Unread post by gurtid » Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:21 pm

rhowaldt wrote:i got 5 of those HP DC series machines at home. oh no, four, gave one of them away to my friend. they are nice indeed.
@gurtid: nice Cobra artwork on your wall i see ;)
You can pick the DCs up pretty cheap/free here and they're a reasonably robust machine . . . certainly great bang for buck for my purposes.
Cobra? . . . hmmmm . . . over the top of my head sorry Rho. I'll have to have a closer look at my pix.
DebianJoe wrote:@ Gurtid: PLC programmer? If so, then we have a great deal in common. (I mostly use Omron, Seimens, and Yaskawa...but have used some Allen Bradley before.)
I'm an industrial electrician, but have done lots of programming in the past. I mainly work with Allen Bradley here but I prefer Siemens. Also some occasional Omron, TPMC, GE Fanuc, Mitsubishi. I've never heard of Yaskawa until you mentioned them in a previous post you made.

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:09 am

@dkeg: Cobra is an art-movement where the artists tried to get back to a very original, pure and childlike form of creation. i was therefore referring to the children's drawings on your wall.
more info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COBRA_%28a ... ovement%29 :)
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

dkeg
Configurator

Unread post by dkeg » Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:01 pm

^meant for @gurtid.

rum or vodka? :D

I also have 3 thinkpad lappy's. One is cooked, using for spare parts (r60 iirc, been packed away for awhile), t60 t41 that needs a new fan and keyboard, and a t43 my wife uses. I'd like to pick up another working model this winter.

I'm seeeing an IBM thinkpad thread coming ...

Work hard; Complain less

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:23 pm

^ hihi, oh yes, i see my mistake indeed. no idea why i mix you guys up. rum or vodka... good question XD

bones
Clooney

Unread post by bones » Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:10 pm

dkeg wrote:I'm seeeing an IBM thinkpad thread coming ...
Sweet, let's do this thing! I'll start it off...

gurtid
Uninstaller

Unread post by gurtid » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:07 pm

@rho - thanks for clarifying the cobra thing. I am an uncivilised, uncouth colonial who doesn't know stuff like that . . .

It's Sunday and I'm at work today . . .

On the right is my dell inspiron 15r laptop - pretty crap laptop to be honest but was free - not working when I got it. i5 M480 processor, 4G ram, AMD HD 5650(?) graphics and has an HDMI out :P. It's the most powerful machine I've got. Running Ubuntu, Elementary, Fubduntu, Bakewell, Mint 15. This is another crap picture from this crap ph. The laptop looks broken and bent on the photo but it isn't . Gunna replace mint 15 with Archbang/Arch.

On the left is a work pc with 3 of my HDDs installed. I am endeavouring to recover images from a corrupt laptop hard drive in Mint 16 (the only thing going for Mint 16 is nice wallpapers - other than that it's boring as fuck. Am using that wallpaper as default on most of my Bakewells now). Photorec doesn't seem to be doing a lot for me. Perhaps default settings aren't the best? (Don't have room to create image so endeavouring to pull stuff straight of the partition :( - meh, not too worried if it doesn't work)
Attachments
Photo060.jpg

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:43 pm

@gurtid: no shame in not knowing your art history. there are a surprising many things i do not know. maybe we should start an art thread :)

gurtid
Uninstaller

Unread post by gurtid » Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:20 am

:( ffs rho :(((((((((((((( didn't think of being ashamed of not knowing my art history 'til you mentioned it . . .

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:17 am

^ though i told you not to :) *pats gurtid on the head, 'there there boy'*

think i'll just start an art-thread.

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:53 pm

I know you've all been waiting, c'mon wux show us your iron...

My AlienWare box.
pumped with 2x500Gb drives full on HD movies, my bro left me.
Bombproof. Should really be the server, as it has capacity for a good few HDDs, and it's well ventilated.
2013-12-24 20.17.04.jpg
with the monitor and desk.
2013-12-24 20.18.40.jpg
Acer Revox, running XBMC frodo. show films on the old flat screen I found in the bin.
2013-12-24 20.19.05.jpg
crappy compaq presario, torrent server running wheezy, stacked with old HDD's
2013-12-24 20.19.39.jpg

The play area.
As you can see I tidied up a bit, before taking the picture 8)
2013-12-24 20.19.58.jpg
like Pids, well a little bit like Pids, I plugged some stuff together and it runs...
I can't even remember what kind of motherboard is on there, just some leftovers.

...And what it all started on; my mums former laptop. Thanks mum!
Acer aspire.
2013-12-24 20.47.57.jpg
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

gurtid
Uninstaller

Unread post by gurtid » Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:06 pm

Here's my hp nx6125 (manufactured about 2005). This is running Trollinger, Siduction Firestarter XFCE (seen running upgrade in pix), and SolusOS. SolusOS is getting replaced with . . . you guessed it . . . the fabulous Bakewell later today.

Specs: CPU AMD Turion 64 ML-40, 2G ram, radeon x200 graphics (shared memory), broadcom BCM4318 wireless, 60GB ide drive plus 320GB sata in drive bay.

Runs great - or does if you discount the crashes. DId I mention it crashes? . . . it crashes! . . . at random intervals . . . could go a month or two without crashing but is just as likely to crash 3 or 4 times within a few minutes of booting. Cause is unknown but I have my silly theories . . . completely unresponsive - hard reset required - nothing in logs.

P.S. Many thx to mb for the marvelous bbq tools packaged with Bakewell . A combination of Archbang and/or myself completely fubarred grub on the other laptop but the bbq tools on Bakewell live rescued my grub without having to look up Xaos's chroot tut . . . :D. Awesome.
Attachments
Photo062.jpg

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:17 am

New entry: Asus Eee PC 1001PX.
A friend didn't use it anymore so he's been kind enough to give it to me. It's going to be my and (mostly) wife's travel mate, so I put Pony Muncher on it and it's a real beauty now.