IBM/Lenovo ThinkPads

Forum rules
We believe in Hello and Thank You.
vic
Godot

Re: IBM/Lenovo ThinkPads

Unread post by vic » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:18 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys! Have started the think process of getting a new/used laptop. Will take my time and I am in no hurry. If I am going to spend money on a new and more expensive computer I want to be sure that it will be a good buy. My old laptop will go into a shadowy Linux retirement very soon :D. Where all the fun computer stuff happens. It still runs xp due to being a multiple user pc. But finally there are a general process of modernization of the households computer equipment in motion. Oh I can manage quite well with some old stuff that run some lightweight Linux stuff. My needs are really very small, but I also would like something more up to date, shiny and cool. That can run some OS with colors, and not only b/W ;)

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:20 pm

To be super-honest, I would really keep XP as long as possible. It was - and probably will be - the last really usable product from MS. And it has the smell of the 80s :D
..gnutella..

Titan
なまいき

Unread post by Titan » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:04 pm

Fellow Grillers

Im looking to own my own thinkpad and wanted some advice from those who have owned a few.
I saw this : http://microdream.co.uk/lenovo-thinkpad ... tLXAJD9RhE

Its well within my new laptop budget unlike many of these new thinkpads, so i was wondering if anyone has ever owned one of this model, and if from your experience they are any good.
* Be fat, be as fat as you fucking please, just don't sit next to me on an aeroplane.
* "The sun never sets on the British Empire...." "Yeah, well, the sun never sets on my asshole!!"
* I am an "old skool" administrator who has been managing UNIX and Linux systems since the early 80s <-- big fkin lol

bones
Clooney

Unread post by bones » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:46 pm

^I haven't owned that model, but I would. Googled some reviews, and they are all pretty positive, including this one at Engadget:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/18/leno ... 20-review/

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:24 am

Heard only good things about x220, but that's not much helpful :)
..gnutella..

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:35 am

microdreams wrote:Buy 5 for £291.58 (£349.90 incl. VAT) each and save 3%
Great that's one for Ivan, Vic, Bones, Titan and me!
Thanks Titan, that is really a kind gesture, so we, without thinkpads, can all get into the Thinkpad club !!
</kidding>
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

vic
Godot

Unread post by vic » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:34 pm

Damn, forgot to mention that I joined the T-club a couple of weeks ago! Got myself a used T520. For the moment I will use it with W7, but will probably dual boot it later with some acceptably colourful desktop of my liking. ;) Just love the keyboard!

bones
Clooney

Unread post by bones » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:57 pm

^ Yup, the keyboards are legendary.

dkeg
Configurator

Unread post by dkeg » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:27 pm

Yes! I'm loving the keyboard on the T440.

Work hard; Complain less

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:59 am

Careful with newer Lenovos:
http://www.computerbase.de/news/2014-02 ... erstoeren/ [german]
http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/W-Series-Th ... 465#M43530 [forums posts]

Affected are certain 540 models. Workaround: before first boot, change the settings in BIOS to deacivate Secure Boot and choose legacy-mbr. Also it is advised to turn off "Intel Rapid Start Technology". Whatever it means, thought I'd share it.
..gnutella..

vic
Godot

Unread post by vic » Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:32 pm

Thanks for the heads up machinebacon. I have a couple of small issues, nothing important really, but will contact a dealer to check if they can provide some help since there are still some time left on the warranty. :)

rust collector
Motörhead

Unread post by rust collector » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:43 pm

Does anyone have any comments on the t400?
I have my eye on one for sale... but I dunno?

57kev
Saltimbocca-Roller

Unread post by 57kev » Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:44 pm

Hey Rust,
One of the banks here have a bunch of T400's that the travelling sales types use, the only issues we have had with them is a few cracked screens
where the above clowns have let the laptop flop about in their cars, put crap on top of them etc. T series Lenovo's are mostly plenty tough and reliable. I have a T420 I like very much.

DebianJoe
Frame Buffer

Unread post by DebianJoe » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:01 pm

I use a t400 at work. They're not a T61/T43, as they were made post IBM's hay-day (IMHO), but they work very well.
|>>BBQ Roaster, Alpha Branch<< | >> clinky << | >> X11 must die << |
Thanks BASIC

rust collector
Motörhead

Unread post by rust collector » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:40 pm

Ok, so not really any different from some other decent laptop, I guess.
well, thanks for the comments, I have to think about this a little

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:31 am

^ How much would it cost?
..gnutella..

rust collector
Motörhead

Unread post by rust collector » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:52 pm

oh, around 300usd, with an ssd, and a new battery included.
I dunno? it is a nice little pile of cash, which I could waste on other stuff...

vic
Godot

Unread post by vic » Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:30 am

Well the small issues were not so small after all. Fucked up wireless, one of the speakers not working, when left clicking on the desktop it reacted like a right click. The screen freezing, put together all things very frustrating. Maybe I fooled myself when buying it, when an offer seems a little bit too good to be true it probably is. I am not sure the seller knew about every problem, it had been used in a docking station and looks brand new. But the seller told me that there were still some time left of the warranty. All the problems were also present when testing different Linux distros live. So contacted Lenovo and they said sure we bring it in and we will have a look at it. Got it back a couple of days ago and everything is working as it should. Still a bit sceptic, but at the moment I am a very happy Thinkpad owner. If this works out I know where to go next time I need a "new" laptop.

bones
Clooney

Unread post by bones » Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:51 pm

^ I've never had to use them myself, but I understand their customer service for the ThinkPads is top-notch. I hear stories of them flying out a tech to fix your computer and such, so that's very cool.

vic
Godot

Unread post by vic » Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:37 pm

Yeah think of that, you screw up your computer and a tech comes home to and you and fixes it :D Well it depends of your type of warranty and what type of problem I suppose. But I am very satisfied so far, great machine. Have installed VM Virtualbox to be able to fool around with some Linux/BBQ stuff, and still keep this machine W7 only for a while. All because of that it will not be only me who uses it, and it is much simpler to keep it single booting than being there to explain stuff. Next best of both worlds so to speak ;) Am typing this from Virtual Waldorf actually, will try to virtualize the wonderful Cookies next, a release that I miss and truly regret ditching.