Tearoom

Forum rules
We believe in Hello and Thank You.
machinebacon
Baconator

Re: Tearoom

Unread post by machinebacon » Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:43 am

Before this thread slips off the first page I necrobump it anally.

In recent days I have grown fond of several Puer teas, namely the "Nuomi xiang" which translates to 'fragrance of sticky rice' and several flavored ones [1]. Not only good for losing weight :)

Have also ordered a Liu Bao tea [2], which is another fermented tea from Guangxi (not Yunnan, like Puer).

[1] http://www.teaviews.com/2011/01/08/revi ... -cha-shou/
[2] http://www.white2tea.com/2014/02/10/liu ... o-guangxi/
..gnutella..

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:22 pm

i still stick with icetea. strickly Lipton though. unless they dont have it, in which case i drink whatever else.
i like my water as i like my women: refreshingly cold ;)
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

elixir
Weight Watcher

Unread post by elixir » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:13 pm

Peppermint tea is hands down my favorite, I cannot get enough of that stuff. If it is not peppermint, it is usually some other form of green tea. Not chamomile though, I never got into that one.
Out of the corner of your eye you spot him... Shia LaBeouf.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0u4M6vppCI

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:15 pm

machinebacon wrote:Before this thread slips off the first page I necrobump it anally.

In recent days I have grown fond of several Puer teas, namely the "Nuomi xiang" which translates to 'fragrance of sticky rice' and several flavored ones [1]. Not only good for losing weight :)

Have also ordered a Liu Bao tea [2], which is another fermented tea from Guangxi (not Yunnan, like Puer).

[1] http://www.teaviews.com/2011/01/08/revi ... -cha-shou/
[2] http://www.white2tea.com/2014/02/10/liu ... o-guangxi/
I surely have Puer around (and I like it), but I have to check for Liu Bao, thanks for the input. Also, time for a cup of tea here.

slartie
Grump

Unread post by slartie » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:36 pm

I've thoroughly tested hundreds of tea blends (really) and you know what I've learned?...

I like breakfast blend tea a whole lot. That's it. Sure I've liked the different black, white, green, red, etc. teas, but I always come back to the tried and true breakfast blend. PG Tips no less.

elixir
Weight Watcher

Unread post by elixir » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:41 pm

^ Everyone enjoys a nice blend of breakfast tea!

Dr_Chroot
Alfalfa

Unread post by Dr_Chroot » Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:53 pm

May I have a moment of your time to talk about our lord and saviour, Lapsang Souchong? The favourite of Winston Churchill because he could taste it over his Romeo y Julieta cigars, LS is a "black tea from the Wuyi region of the Chinese province of Fujian." The strong, robust, bbqed flavour of this cup of deliciousness evokes images of felching Pandas in the Chinese bamboo fores- erm.. or maybe also a cup of scotch. It'll put hair on your chest and make you pine for those long days configuring buildroot on your T410 in the basement while your wife gets cozy with your cousi- I mean while your wife sits by your side cheering on the kernel build. Any way that you look at it, LS is the perfect companion on those warm, humid Southern nights as you futilely attempt to map Iran's gov't intranet.

Stumptown or Lapsang Souchong... my drugs of choice.
Attachments
Lapsang Souchong.jpg
Lapsang Souchong.jpg (100.19 KiB) Viewed 8041 times
Fight internet censorship.
EFF | Tor Project | Bitcoin

"There have been times throughout American history where what is right is not the same as what is legal. Sometimes to do the right thing you have to break the law." - Edward Snowden

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:38 pm

I don't mind a bit of lapsang now and again.
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:41 am

Dr_Chroot, perfect analysis and great review. Zhengshan Xiaozhong (it's Chinese name) comes in different smoke grades. I had one that was so lightly smoked that it actually tasted like honey and malt. Another one was so heavily smoked that I had to air it first. I also noticed that Lapsang does not turn bitter at all, even if you leave it for half an hour. So this is a great tea that you can prepare in a thermos can and take with you :)

If you are into light smokey/woodsy flavors, try the "Lao Cong Shui Xian" (for example http://teaurchin.com/shop-for-tea/oolon ... -xian.html) which is a "Wuyi Yancha" oolong style tea. You might like Da Hong Pao (Great Red Robe), too.
..gnutella..

elixir
Weight Watcher

Unread post by elixir » Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:19 am

^ I am definitely going to try that tea, but I need to get my hands on that glass skull cup. That thing looks sweet!

Sector11
Sperminator

Unread post by Sector11 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:03 pm

wuxmedia wrote:Went to a tea shop and tried some of this, had to buy a packet:
Mate IQ is a really nice brew, and full of natural stimulants guarana and stuff, really quite addictive. The orange really makes it taste nice.
and economic 8) - I usually get a couple of brews out of one teaspoon.
Ahhhhhh OK, now I know why you thought coffee in my mate might not be good.

What that Mate IQ looks like is what is called mate cocido here. I can see where that would be classified as a 'tea'. I don't drink much of that, We drink a mate out of a "mate" (the gourd or other container) through a bombilla (metal straw if you will) ... This is our setup (#! forum but you can see it). Half fill it with yerba, sugar if you want (my wife) I prefer mata amargo (no sugar). And since I've cut back on coffee I add a little to the "mate" (container) and mix it up with the yerba. Drink that 2 to 4 times a day. Here's another of my #! posts on mate, only two posts down from the first link I gave.

But TEA .. Some Chinese friends tell me there are some Chinese teas there running 1500 pesos a kilo! My eyes went from: °¿° to 0¿0 OMG!!! I won't be buying that stuff. I have some vacuum packed Chinese tea he gave me to sample. But I'm going to get some soon, they gave me an address to go to.

I only ever had one Tin of "old" Chinese tea in my life, a Malaysian University student who joined my BBS back then, left it with me when he returned home after his studies, quite large and about 1/3 full. Smelled horrible, fungusy, is that's a word ... but tasted GREAT - the way he made it!

Never forget him pouring water over the leaves - throwing the water away and repeating it, before serving the tea. Seemed a waste. He also left the ceremonial tea set with me as a parting gift. Very similar to this but with 6 cups. Of course I wasn't going to waste the tea water ... that thought lasted about 1/2 way through of the first tiny cup full. OH yea, OK, toss it! :)

Brought the "tea set" to Argentina with me, but had no Chinese tea. So it just ended up being a kick-nack on the book shelf. One day our little niece was playing "Tea Party" and she used that, then wanted to take it home ... Pleeeeeese - how could I say no, damn those big eyes and soft Pleeeeeese {blink blink}.

1500 ARS = 1087.9500 CNY = 174.6000 USD = 148.0500 EUR

Earl Grey is my tea of choice, although I like English Breakfast and Deejarling. Have not had "Orange Pekoe" tea in 15 years. My wife drinks tea as a medicine. She can't believe I drink it because I like it.

Earl Grey straight up or with a little milk added to the tea, not the other way around.

I usually have a glass of something on my desk with me, mate, coffee, tea or water. Yea yea, I know, fish swim in it.

Colour me wired!

Note: =====
Someone here said maté - no that's wrong - that's for the verb: matar - to kill
I am THE resident noob, hands down no discussion. ... and
I wear my soap on a rope.

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:07 pm

Sector11 wrote:
wuxmedia wrote: Someone here said maté - no that's wrong - that's for the verb: matar - to kill
Ah yeah, i was trying to be classy. Is that not how it's pronounced? I guess it doesn't matter.

Sector11
Sperminator

Unread post by Sector11 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:47 pm

wuxmedia wrote:
Sector11 wrote:
wuxmedia wrote: Someone here said maté - no that's wrong - that's for the verb: matar - to kill
Ah yeah, i was trying to be classy. Is that not how it's pronounced? I guess it doesn't matter.
No, it's just "matay" - it would matter in a conversation
ma = ma as in machinebacon
tay = tay as in taylor

Someone give wuxmedia an "I'm classy" title hahahaha

(Yo) maté la vaca. (I killed the cow)

Mate la vaca. - Really, did it drink much? :D

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:17 am

Sector11 wrote:
Thanks so much. People still do it wrong, listen to them how they say Mate DE. :D

How about this: [ˈmate]. If you can read this then it is even more precise than what Sector suggests. I guess it is really difficult for English speakers not to chew on the vowels. :P If you read it for example in German you will say it correct, with a long a.

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:47 am

^ Hard for English speakers to get anything right :P
so pronunciation wise, perhaps - "Heh bub, thas' a mah taay yo's a drinkin'" ?

Sector11
Sperminator

Unread post by Sector11 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:59 pm

ivanovnegro wrote:
Sector11 wrote:
Thanks so much. People still do it wrong, listen to them how they say Mate DE. :D

How about this: [ˈmate]. If you can read this then it is even more precise than what Sector suggests. I guess it is really difficult for English speakers not to chew on the vowels. :P If you read it for example in German you will say it correct, with a long a.
You're welcome Ivan of the negro dude. - OK, last time I'll use that. :D

I didn't want to get into this and create more confusion. :D

may-t - long vowel sound a as Ivan said
= verb: procreate, yea yea that too, or
= noun a pal, a friend, your life partner

ma-tay
= the drink here
= the 'gourd' or container one puts the yerba in

- pronounced differently, again with words
ma from map
tay from taylor

First time I "saw" that word in the 'drink' context, that I had no knowledge about, I just about shit myself. I was on IRC
Every Wednesday a group of my friends get together and we share a mate.
OK, admit it, how many of you just spit coffee, tea, whatever all over your monitor, or came close! I know I came 'very close' that first time.

OH YEA! Lets get the pronunciation right and clear up a few misconceptions.

I'll gladly share my mate but not my mate.

Fun with words: The present is a good time to present the present.
One spelling - two pronunciations and three meanings - English is so easy. NOT!

Sector11
Sperminator

Unread post by Sector11 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:12 pm

ivanovnegro wrote:Thanks so much. People still do it wrong, listen to them how they say Mate DE. :D
OH CRAP ... totally missed what you meant. So sorry.

Mate DE
MATE (Spanish pronunciation: [ˈmate]) is a desktop environment forked from the now-unmaintained code base of GNOME 2. It is named after the South American plant Yerba mate and tea made from the herb, mate.[1] The use of a new name, instead of GNOME, avoids conflicts with GNOME 3 components.
Yea that means its the same as the drink. :D

And I've been pronouncing it wrong all along. :(
Thank you .. so does that make everyone using Mate DE an honorary 'argentino' ?

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:11 pm

Sector11 wrote: Thank you .. so does that make everyone using Mate DE an honorary 'argentino' ?
Why not? :D
So, in Germany it is hard to find mate but they invented the geek's drink Club Mate. I like it even though all the hipsters drink it. Mucha cafeína. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Club-Mate

And the Germans get the pronunciation right. ;)

edit: fixed closingbracket on quote - xoxoxo R

Sector11
Sperminator

Unread post by Sector11 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:41 pm

ivanovnegro wrote:
Sector11 wrote: Thank you .. so does that make everyone using Mate DE an honorary 'argentino' ?
Why not? :D
So, in Germany it is hard to find mate but they invented the geek's drink Club Mate. I like it even though all the hipsters drink it. Mucha cafeína. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Club-Mate

And the Germans get the pronunciation right. ;)
Yea, I heard about this a while ago and just yesterday my wife was reading her monthly "Muy Interesante". "Los Secretos del Oro Verde" and they mentioned the German brewery making Club-Mate. I'd love to try a bottle, but I have never seen it here.

A really nice monthly rag*

Back in the day I would have jumped at Jaeger-Mate, a mix of Jägermeister and Club-Mate. :D

* That is NOT a racist remark, R :)

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:05 am

And I always thought MATE (the DE) meant "MILFs Mothers Approved This Environment" :D
..gnutella..