Linux News

Forum rules
We believe in Hello and Thank You.
ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Re: Linux News

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:11 pm

^ Now my better half has one of those Androids. Honestly, it is crap. It feels like back to Windows. Tons of bullshit installed that you even cannot remove. Seems I need a course for their software management.

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:39 pm

^ same here with my wife. But I hate everything smartphone/tablet related, so I don't count.

vic
Godot

Unread post by vic » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:08 pm

Yeah, Android is a struggle to understand. But maybe there is hope at the end of the tunnel after all...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ewanspence/ ... s-promise/

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:14 am

^ Nice, something's happening! :)
..gnutella..

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:17 pm

i enjoy Android actually. if you go look at proper phones (talking smartphones here so not talking actual phonecalls and such) you can either go with Android or Apple. since iOS sucks major assholes (not randomly hating here, have actually used the thing and it is dogdamned unbelievable), you end up with Android. it is actually customizable a whole lot through 3rd party apps. don't use the defaults man, you should all know that by now. and apps that come with the device (especially Samsung's notorious amount of crapware) can be removed, but you gotta get root (duh, you gotta have root on Linux to do useful stuff).

forget user-friendly, approach it as you would a new Linux distro, tweak it out and have fun. seriously, i like Android :)
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

kexolino
Common Boob

Unread post by kexolino » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:09 pm

^ The only problem is that if you do anything that requires root, or heavens forbid, unlock the bootloader, you lose the warranty for it. I should know, the ICS update sucked ass for my phone, so I flashed Cyanogenmod on it; few months later the screen broke, and of course when I took it for fixing I got a "fuck you, no warranty for you, pay up" from the shop/service/thing :D (ofc it was expected, but it still kinda hurt)

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:11 pm

iPhone - I have one with work, ios7 i'm not a big fan of, some things are well thought out, others are annoying.
I got another tablet for Xmas, that is so full of crapware, it must be a target for rooting/installing a custom OS. on the bottom bar it has volcontrol +/- (no hard buttons) screenshot (no hard vol button) home, recent apps...

anyway moaning about nothing, my old acer is great, only got a few crap apps.
My father in law got an iPad, he couldn't get past the 'tell me about yourself' bit and the apple id is like applying for citizenship... Hmmmm

True that Kexolino.
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:56 pm

rhowaldt wrote:
forget user-friendly, approach it as you would a new Linux distro, tweak it out and have fun. seriously, i like Android :)
If I had one I would go the Rho route but it is not mine so I do not touch it that much.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:02 pm

rho, it's sad enough that in its default state Android is a collection of broken shit. It can't be true that user (as in 'the owner of the phone') has to dig into the intestines of the OS to make it work in a way it should/could "of" (oh fuck this!) been by default. That's like buying a new Mercedes and then removing parts of the engine and the interior. Nihao?

It would definitely look differently if phones would come without OS at all, and you can go the "real Linux way" of installing the OS you like. Nihao!
..gnutella..

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:08 pm

/me is waiting for BBQ KaptKrunch spin 8)
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:18 am

Moonlight, a new DE based on Qt from Cuba for minimal resources and educational purposes:

http://humanos.uci.cu/2014/01/moonlight ... nova-2015/

In English:

http://moonlightde.blogspot.de/

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:22 am

@kexo: very true, only issue indeed.
@jules: very true. i just tend to be more accepting of the 'dystopian' qualities of the current situation. i mean, this is what we got, so i work with it. really interested in the phoneblocks (open hardware) stuff and such. plus, i read today that Korea or something has said all smartphones released in their country should have an uninstall option for bloatware (save for their implementations of wifi, nfs and such, which are always vendor-specific). so, give it some time, i think?
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:55 am

^^ seems like moonlight wants to make use of razorqt/lxde-qt stuff - i hope that any of them will solve their problematic panel, because it was the only thing I really hated about razorqt. And the only thing that crashed regularly.

^ yeah, South Korea was the one, home of Samsung :D
..gnutella..

johnraff
Sperminator

Unread post by johnraff » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:00 pm

The much-feted IT leader South Korea is in fact a major Windows stronghold. You have to use Internet Explorer to do any financial stuff at all - by law!
http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/asi ... story.html
http://www.techdirt.com/articles/201205 ... -ago.shtml
All code is one.

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:43 pm

That is so crazy and a whole country depends on a foreign company.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:00 am

Ikey is back: http://evolve-os.com/

judging from the build scripts, EvolveOS is based on OpenSuSE and the desktop of choice is on top of GNOME shell.
..gnutella..

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:09 am

And looky here @drew and @gekko: http://news.siduction.org/2014/01/fix-r ... -december/

I tried to find out what this regression is, and it seems some Mint (Ubuntu?) users suffered from the same symptoms.
..gnutella..

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:37 am

Regression, huh? Plot thickens.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:56 am

Regression: towo had a beer too much :D
..gnutella..

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:25 pm

@gekko/@drew: I don't know if it's siduction's repos timing out, but after an upg there is no 3.13 kernel in the repos anymore :D
..gnutella..