Linux News

Forum rules
We believe in Hello and Thank You.
machinebacon
Baconator

Re: Linux News

Unread post by machinebacon » Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:15 pm

https://glandium.org/blog/?p=3622

As mentioned in another thread before, it's now official: Firefox is on its way to the Debian repositories.
..gnutella..

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:18 pm

^ Nice!

bones
Clooney

Unread post by bones » Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:19 pm

^^ Wow, all of the sudden, I'm feeling nostalgic for iceweasel! :)

ChefIronBelly
Approved BBQer

Unread post by ChefIronBelly » Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:21 pm

^^^
Came today and a ...

$ firefox -v
Mozilla Firefox 45.0
(1/1) Installing: LinuxBBQ...................................[69%]==============[/]

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:38 pm

Finally. No more support for how to use the "real" Fox in Munchbag, no, Busenleib.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Sat Mar 12, 2016 3:24 pm

^ Leistenhub, Blasebalg, Laugenteil, Samendepp :D
..gnutella..

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Sun Mar 13, 2016 2:33 am

http://azure.github.io/SONiC/

That's Microsoft's Debian spin, by the way.
..gnutella..

archvortex
Uninstaller

Unread post by archvortex » Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:38 am

http://www.computerworld.com/article/30 ... urned.html

Good news for Linux? That's what you get when you use Windows. You bought the computer but Microsoft owns the operating system. LOL
GUIs??? We don't need no stinkin' GUIs!!!
LinuxBBQ - No bloated bullshit to meet the needs of the less technical Linux user
Color is bloat

bones
Clooney

Unread post by bones » Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:08 pm

^ I've got one computer in my department at work that keeps prompting me to upgrade to 10 (from 7), but it's not doing it on it's own, so far anyway. My guess is that these folks have "auto update" turned on, which is probably the default.

Dr_Chroot
Alfalfa

Unread post by Dr_Chroot » Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:24 pm

Oh my gosh, Windows 10 updates are being a pain. My Uncle has an older Dell laptop with Windows 7 barely eeking by on it, left it on the table while he was waiting his GoToMeeting to start with a client... came back to it upgrading to Win10 screen :/ (Now, he isn't exactly computer-savvy, so I don't know what he authorized or not. Perhaps he wasn't watching the fine print!)

I'll just leave this here... https://github.com/th3power/aegis-voat
Fight internet censorship.
EFF | Tor Project | Bitcoin

"There have been times throughout American history where what is right is not the same as what is legal. Sometimes to do the right thing you have to break the law." - Edward Snowden

archvortex
Uninstaller

Unread post by archvortex » Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:10 pm

Most Windows installs here in Indonesia are probably from pirated copies so IIRC all security and service pack updating/upgrading is turned off so the user can't be caught or noticed. Same for Office, Photoshop, etc. or they come with a crack file. Even new computers/laptops get pirated Windows installations unless the machine has Windows pre-installed. It's bad for Microsoft and bad for the consumer at the same time. Namanya juga Indonesia (That's Indonesia) where everything is pirated and it's hard to find an original.
LinuxBBQ - No bloated bullshit to meet the needs of the less technical Linux user
Color is bloat

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:21 pm

^ I've always thought piracy for Microsoft can't be all that bad. They get to have their OS spread around everywhere, actually consolidating its position as the most known and most used OS. Add to that pirate copies of software that runs on Windows and the next step you have is a recognizable "standard".

franksinistra
Ivana Fukalot

Unread post by franksinistra » Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:59 pm

^^ While it was common practice in 5-10 years ago (even in several banks and well-known companies), and while still very popular, people using pirated copy of any applications running on Microsoft softwares aren't that many anymore, at least in several cities in Indonesia.

Recently, with the release of windows 10, pirated copies of windows 7 and 8 can be used to upgrade to 10 with relatively small amount of money (even for the Indonesians). That and Microsoft people raids every computer software stores regularly (at least once every 2-3 months) led to the decline of pirated windows copy.

But well.... some well-known state-owned companies, banks, and whatnot are starting to switch to linux for the clients (not just the server). I know for a fact that Slackware and Debian have huge user-base around here too, so.... :)

^ That one i fully agree.
rice no more.

archvortex
Uninstaller

Unread post by archvortex » Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:17 am

Juanda airport uses Puppy Linux and Ubuntu for certain systems. I have fixed several computers there on different occasions for staff while waiting for flights. The funniest time was fixing the computer responsible for flight information on the screens around the airport (before the renovation to the airport). Had about 30 people watching me fix it and cheer after the screen came back up. Kind of stupid and not safe to use an OS that is always in root at an airport IMO.

Frank, I'm not sure where you live here but from my experience, Windows pirated copies are still everywhere and being used along with pirated software. Jakarta is the only place I've seen raids take place and it was usually a token police raid in Glodok or Pasar Senen which was heavily publicized to satisfy Microsoft. No one ever got raided in Malang, Manado and certainly no one does it here in Bali. Ubud is famous for pirated copies of movies. One shop across the street near the main temple has an excellent collection of movies and video games. I have gotten some older movie classics that I couldn't find in Singapore or weren't being seeded as torrents.

When I was teaching in Jakarta at the various government ministeries, most of the computers ran pirated Windows XP and Win 7 plus pirated Office. The upper management had original Windows installed but the common workers had pirated copies according to the IT guys working there. Banks and international companies were the only places that had all original software. Before my bus crash, when Jokowi was still governor of Jakarta, I helped my current part-time boss do a presentation on transportation and technology solutions for Jakarta for President Jokowi. I tried to sell him on the idea of using Linux for government computers that could be built off Ubuntu (like BlankOn). They could develop their own OS and disperse it throughout Indonesia, cut out the cost of buying Microsoft and not worry about pirated software and most viruses. He was keen on the idea as Russia was trying to implement the same kind of idea at the time. Obviously, nothing has come of it in Jakarta and the rest of Indonesia because no one can get corruption money in a budget from Linux. LOL.

All most all of my ex-students that used Linux were using Ubuntu and only one cool student used Slackware and knew Willy Raharjo in Yogya. One other student used Fedora but that was because his dad was a Fedora ambassador for Indonesia.
Color is bloat

franksinistra
Ivana Fukalot

Unread post by franksinistra » Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:44 am

^ Yup, idk the sight of 6 foot plus white canadian fixing someone's computer is not something you see everyday here, will guarantee to create some sort of ruckus... :) lol

Of course all the major players (literally 3-4 people) in Glodok / Mangdu won't be troubled by raids as you said, but they are a bit more cautious these days, one of them already paid some 50K USD for distributing illegal copies of you know what, and some in Semarang, Surabaya, Solo, and Jogja were even worse.

Well.... Like everywhere else, ubuntu and its derivatives are without a doubt the most popular, but i was taken aback when some linux communities from small towns like Salatiga, Pare Pare, Kediri, Wates, and Sukoharjo are mostly debian and slackware users. :)

Imho Blankon, igos, and the likes are doomed to fail from the start.... Simply because they ask people to change
rice no more.

archvortex
Uninstaller

Unread post by archvortex » Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:58 am

In Glodok, it was "Hey Mister, you wanna buy Vivid?" LOL! Nope, I have TOR so I can see all the bokep I want. :D
Color is bloat

archvortex
Uninstaller

Unread post by archvortex » Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:14 am

Some of the Catholic schools in Malang were set up with Mandriva in the computer labs and used Dan's Guardian for protection against curious students :) I forgot that one of my old students (slightly eccentric and autistic) installed Arch in her laptop. She was only 12 at the time. "Mr. Stan, I have Arch Linux in my laptop." I thought, sure you do Tata. Then she showed me and explained how she installed it and I was like WTF? She was a bit of a savant when it came to memory of technology and music especially and would listen to a piece of music once and then play it perfectly either on a keyboard or guitar even though she had never had a lesson in her life.
Color is bloat

bones
Clooney

Unread post by bones » Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:31 pm

^ Nice!

franksinistra
Ivana Fukalot

Unread post by franksinistra » Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:04 pm

^^ A 12 yo girl? wow man, that's one hell of a student... nice one
rice no more.

Theo
CLIt Licker

Unread post by Theo » Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:52 am

^ It's not uncommon for autistic people :) My son is autistic too. When he decided to live at my place (I'm divorced) there was a reasonable computer that moved to his bedroom. He was just 14 and after a week I went to his bedroom and LMDE looked a bit different. His answer was the he wanted to speed up the system, so he removed parts of LXDE till it was Openbox with just a few handy goodies like pcmanfm. True, he knew a bit about linux but removing bloat within a week and the system didn't bork was a great score I believe :)