Forums Hottie

Distrowatch

Unread post by hinto » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:49 am

"A human being should be able to... butcher a hog..." -Robert Heinlein

Wervenyt
Saltimbocca-Roller

Re: Distrowatch

Unread post by Wervenyt » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:33 am

Well, hoping it makes the database, it would really increase the popularity. However, I'm not sure if we really want BBQ to become a huge distro.
The description isn't great though...

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:47 am

^ Agreed :)

It was apparently submitted by somebody who is not part of the BBQ Standing Committee. That's the dynamics of the internet. LinuxBBQ pops up at softpedia, too - and we haven't submitted anything to them.
..gnutella..

slixz85
Horny teen

Unread post by slixz85 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:52 pm

yeah once it HIT distrowatch that is the biggest one to get attention from so even if it is a small community mind set it KINDA won't hurt cause more exposure could help it evolve into something more and also I like it and this is how I also came across it. so there are plenty of people that would want it actually. that is why i seen it on distrowatch was from hoppin around and now i found something over the regulars that really is special in its own sense. so come to think about it twice it aint bad for you at all especially to drag into those that have to look for something all the time cause they haven't found it and WA-LA. there that bitch is (good use) lol
DECIDE wut it is you really want 2 do in the World, the 1 thing that'll (150 years from now) cause 'em to exclaim,
"He did something AMAZING." And then grab some Beer and go watch ESPN. That's enough self-delusional B***S*** for 1 day."

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:08 pm

Softpedia is like a plague and you know what, honestly, I do not care about DW. Would be cool just not to be there. :D Like a famous band that is not responding to the journalists.

pidsley
Hermit

Unread post by pidsley » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:28 pm

"It is a common mistake to assume that every developer wants his project to be popular."

Wervenyt
Saltimbocca-Roller

Unread post by Wervenyt » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:16 am

^
I think we may want to clear that issue up pretty soon.

slixz85
Horny teen

Unread post by slixz85 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:52 am

yeah i definitely understand about wanting it to be a small community as i stated above. I was gettin at the idea that people need to know about it some MINOR way anyway or else the developer(s) would be recruitin people themselves and that would only go so far. with this in mind it is already on distrowatch can't do nothin about that.
DECIDE wut it is you really want 2 do in the World, the 1 thing that'll (150 years from now) cause 'em to exclaim,
"He did something AMAZING." And then grab some Beer and go watch ESPN. That's enough self-delusional B***S*** for 1 day."

rstrcogburn
Oyster-Slurper

Unread post by rstrcogburn » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:27 am

Good to see yall on the list. How long does it take to move into the official database?

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:54 am

Could take years, if you see the old submissions. Dang, they haven't even added projects like Raspbian or Bedrock. Instead they admit Ubuntu-remixes without a clear goal. Okay, I don't want to make bad weather - I just learned one lesson in life: the percentage of people who are generally unsatisfied with everything in their lives is always the same. They will be bitching, no matter if about a distro they haven't even tried or about politics or about <topic of choice>. Quite understandable that I don't need any more of these kind of people in my life, neither in real life nor in virtual communities. If they come here through DW or not, I don't really care.

But I am very happy to meet folks from all over the world who love tinkering, and who love to exchange knowledge, help each other, and nost importantly have an open mind/heart. About this, I do care and they are the reason to actually do this roasting :)
..gnutella..

slixz85
Horny teen

Unread post by slixz85 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:03 am

correct on ^ that but also just think about this. ones that make it too the forums are definitely using it and trying to get to know more or fix a quick problem to be using it. cause i have tried SEVERAL os's and haven't signed up for but 3 or 4 forums over years of span. so i believe all us on the forums are legit! we all on same page

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:17 am

Right, however - there's no face check in the registration process ;)
..gnutella..

slixz85
Horny teen

Unread post by slixz85 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:25 am

yeah we don't need no scribble from bots all over these forums lol hopefully that won't happen and can be implemented

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:47 am

The bots are nicely sorted out. The counter-revolution always comes from the inside :D

Just hoping this forums stays a relaxed and cool place without too much bitchin'
..gnutella..

slixz85
Horny teen

Unread post by slixz85 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:55 am

i hear ya man. ahh well if there is you can always hit that delete button of yours if they get outta hand. lol. plus it seems already as though you have plenty of us behind the idea to tell or help tell them to get lost they are ignorant (therefore they feel stupid as hell). i respond quickly on here huh! i got that gmail-notify prog. lol

hinto
Forums Hottie

Unread post by hinto » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:39 pm

^about tinkering. I assume you use the Debian installer so it understands LVM? If so, I'll boot up at lunch and replace Fuduntu.
-Hinto

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:59 pm

hinto:

No, it's not Debian installer. We don't use buggy software for the install process ;) But indeed, the BBQ-installers don't understand LVM (yet).

BTW I checked what we can do with a distro-defaults-bbq package. As a matter of fact, it is on high priority - most recently things happen a bit quicker than I expected, so I had to (re)organize a few things. You can be sure though that with the new year we will have both a LVM sensible installer as well as the meta-packages. Anyway, in two days it's the end of the world :D
..gnutella..

hinto
Forums Hottie

Unread post by hinto » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:08 pm

I sticking close to John Cusack ;)
I have to admit that this spring we took a trip to Yellowstone and it was a bit eerie knowing we were in a volcano.

The reason I have LVM (not a die-hard user of it) is that I had a RHEL box from the company (LVM be default among other things). I gave it the "college try" and ran with it for about a month, then re-imaged it with siduction (hence the Debian installer question).

I ran siduction on it for quite a while using KDE, XFCE, RazorQT, etc.. then ran across Fuduntu.

Short story is that I should have re-partitioned it when I had the chance... Now I'd have to copy all my vmguests off the disks (quite painful at greater than 100gb size).

-Hinto

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:16 pm

Yellowstone sounds cool, must be a great place to visit. Nature is the best designer :)

Totally understand you, hinto. Moving data is a pain, it would be time for me to do this, too... cleaning up the stuff, but <put excuse here>. :)

As far as I know, siduction has their own installer not based on Debian and I could actually add their cli-installer (or that of aptosid) to the image. I have once tested it if it works in BBQ and it *basically* did a good job. I'll find a solution for you LVM guys :)
..gnutella..

hinto
Forums Hottie

Unread post by hinto » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:42 pm

Cool...
BTW... I *think* Debian understands it, too (in addition to siduction) according to el_koraco.
-Hinto