/dev/null

Forum rules
We believe in Hello and Thank You.
wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Re: /dev/null

Unread post by wuxmedia » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:54 am

^ I got a good grade in maths at high school (I went for a lower paper, the grade was capped at 'B' which I attained) Then we went to the local 6th form (higher ed) and sat in on the maths 'A' level - they handed a sheet out with some questions on and I did them, relatively confident about them - got exactly 0 right - so from that point it was 'fuck maths'. Probably based on that I went and did art for two years instead :D
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:03 am

^ I kind of like Maths to be honest, and sometimes regret having ditched university twice when I was younger.

franksinistra
Ivana Fukalot

Unread post by franksinistra » Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:58 pm

^ took EE major in college none of the maths are related to the CS in general, unless you count calculus, linear algebra, or fourier transform. Those are covered in the first three semesters. I only regret not taking CS major, hard to find jobs for EE major once I graduated (without distinction of course).
rice no more.

ChefIronBelly
Approved BBQer

Unread post by ChefIronBelly » Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:50 pm

^ I was the opposite CS in school EE for the last 30 years.
(1/1) Installing: LinuxBBQ...................................[69%]==============[/]

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:59 pm

^ none of the above. A bit of art, bit of computer art (failed to ride the dotcom multimedia bubble) :D
mould making technician - coachbuilder - welder - more metal fabrication - sysadmin :D

vic
Godot

Unread post by vic » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:30 am

Think I read somewhere that Debian turned 25 this week. So congratulations, and cheers to you! :)
Sorry guys, no signature for a while, too busy with life. :|

vic
Godot

Unread post by vic » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:33 am

Will go for a long overdue haircut, and then to try out new glasses for work. And a couple of other errands...crap, this will keep me occupied all day probably. No nix time today either. :(

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:57 pm

Congrats to Debian.

Get that haircut and glasses, that is more important than nix. ;)

vic
Godot

Unread post by vic » Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:18 pm

Seriously considering to buy a new laptop for W10. Have been salivating over a Thinkpad X1 Carbon, 2nd or 3rd gen. So not so new, but expesive enough.That would mean that I could retire my T420 to Linux. :)

vic
Godot

Unread post by vic » Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:58 pm

Damn! The wireless is dead on my T61. Yes, it is a hardware failure. Have checked, dead as a doorknob. Well, it is an old machine, wired network works though. But still :(

Will degrade it to a more stationary use from now on. :|

pidsley
Hermit

Unread post by pidsley » Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:19 pm

vic wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:58 pm
Damn! The wireless is dead on my T61. Yes, it is a hardware failure. Have checked, dead as a doorknob. Well, it is an old machine, wired network works though. But still :(
Use a wireless dongle? I use one of these on my rpi. Cheap and very small. Works well with Linux, and has Realtek RTL8188CUS.

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:35 pm

Nice idea Pidsley. I think I will recommend such a dongle for the problematic laptop here of a friend that is not able to use the default wifi card.

gutterslob
Resident Tranny

Unread post by gutterslob » Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:59 am

Posting this here: https://github.com/trailofbits/algo/
Why? Because after what I've been through* the last couple of days, it's a frickin godsend, and I'm not even the religious type.

[rant]
*Why the hell is IPsec on Linux is so fucking convoluted? On OpenBSD, it's just a few lines (for a IKEv2/IPsec tunnel) in /etc/iked.conf, a one-liner in /etc/ipsec.conf, and another /etc/pf.conf to set up NAT and you're pretty much done on the host side. On Linux, you've got the go through the bloody Necronomicon Strongswan documentation, which looks like it was written in Brummie accent after six thousand cheap pints. Ugh!!
[/rant]

Reason for all this balderdash;
Because no commercial VPN provider gives me the combination of protocols that are ideal for my devices - meaning IPsec for mobile (iOS) and WireGuard (because OpenVPN is donkeys balls slow) for desktop/router. IPsec is elegant and easy on OpenBSD, but WireGuard doesn't work at kernel level on anything outside Linux, so yeah current TL;DR = doing a trial run via Algo on a Digital Ocean VPS with Ubuttnut LTS and seeing how shit spins while I look for a cheaper (and hopefully a tad more private) offering on lowendbox with a more granular/hardened (hopefully Debian*) install.

[rant2]
Why haven't Debian and her bastard children moved to openresolv yet? It's fuckin 2018!!
[/rant2]

P.S
I really need to start learning Ansible.

franksinistra
Ivana Fukalot

Unread post by franksinistra » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:16 am

^ why not spin both openbsd and debian on DO (or for cheaper alternative, how about Scaleway as Wux said in another thread).
rice no more.

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:29 am

^^ Ansible is really, really great. Configured automagically my home server with it while sipping tea and reading news. Just saying. :)

gutterslob
Resident Tranny

Unread post by gutterslob » Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:01 pm

franksinistra wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:16 am
^ why not spin both openbsd and debian on DO (or for cheaper alternative, how about Scaleway as Wux said in another thread).
I don't mind paying for two separate solutions if pricing is reasonable. Initially, my plan was to use Mullvad for Wireguard and employ a VPS for my IKEv2/IPsec tunnel. That way I'd only deploy the VPS for those times I know I'll be stuck in a hotel somewhere for an extended period. Problem with most of these VPS services is lack of native support for OpenBSD - not a problem if it's a long-term/perpetual deployment, but inconvenient if it's something I want to deploy and wipe sparodically. If I'm going to take the Linux/Strongswan route, then I might as well just utilize the same VPS for both tunelling protocols and save the money.

I learned out about Scaleway when I found that Algo script. Undoubtedly good on price (4core ARMv8 @ €2.99/mo), though bandwidth is a bit disappointing. Currently getting about 700mbps+ via my DO Singapore droplet with Wireguard running on a Linux VM - would probably be lower if using router as the client, which is my ultimate goal (speaking of which) but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it - so Scaleway would be a bit of a step down on that front, especially coupled with their datacenter locations being Europe-only.
GekkoP wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:29 am
^^ Ansible is really, really great. Configured automagically my home server with it while sipping tea and reading news. Just saying. :)
So are you saying it's easy, or are you just showing off ? =P
Btw, home server? Does that mean you get a static IP from your ISP?

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:26 pm

^ No static IP. The server is only available on the local network with your regular 192.168.*.* IP. It's more of a NAS/seedbox than a real fancy server.

franksinistra
Ivana Fukalot

Unread post by franksinistra » Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:28 am

^^ I forgot that DO does not support OpenBSD natively. I got it mixed up with Vultr, i think that one does.
rice no more.

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:38 am

I managed to do my first 'set up nginx to terminate SSL and pass the request to Varnish' (caching proxy server) which gets its web pages from apache.
was a bit complex but my duck has been broken :D
as I did it on my own (apart from getting the conf of another machine) I'm pretty chuffed, represents a LARGE section of machines i've not really been able to grok as it's a bit complex. nginx:443 -> varnish:80 -> apache2:8080 with redirects to https only. Some of the larger clusters take advantage of this to pass the requests down the road to machines behind the firewall, thus obscuring the actual IP performing a bit of load balancing.
Also I made myself do it in the 30 mins before the customer was going to have a big sale, which we got varnish on last year, on port 80, but they had since gotten a SSL cert.

vic
Godot

Unread post by vic » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:07 am

Haha, I am such a dumbfuck these days. Some posts above I were sure that the wireless had quit forever on my T61. But with both my buttcheeks glowing with embarrassing fluorescent pink I confess that...the wifi hardware switch were off! (**)

It has happened before too. That is the worst part, I never learn. Quit computers and go Amish town next? :D