/dev/null

Forum rules
We believe in Hello and Thank You.
GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Re: /dev/null

Unread post by GekkoP » Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:17 pm

And Ubuntu 20.04 it is.

I didn't play much with it yet of course, and the fact the it mirrors pretty much the setup I had before doesn't help to notice the differences, but anyway here we go:

- snap is here, yes, but I uninstalled snapd and I hope apt will keep treating me well
- I had to disable manually some history tracking and other privacy settings, but at least they are easy to turn off now
- I had to fix my Ansible Playbooks because there is less python2 and more python3 here, but that's a problem on my side
- they messed up GNOME extensions. The default dock is not customizable to my needs, so Dash to Dock all the way and goodbye Ubuntu dock. I also had to install gnome-shell-extensions and chrome-gnome-shell just to be able to add my extensions. I have to use a fork of No Title Bar (which should be a default options in GNOME, for fuck's sake), and the Status area horizontal spacing doesn't work like it used to. And I'd really like to have a word with the developer who thinks icons with so much space between each other is a good thing
- the new theme is not that bad, but I'm only keeping it because the old one I had doesn't play well with the new GNOME
- GNOME shell respects the font settings, and that's a nice improvement

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:36 am

Thank you Gekko. And I hear extensions again, oh my... You are brave. :)

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:58 am

Actually, with Unite I could replace both "No Title Bar - fork" and "Status area horizontal spacing", so maybe something good came out from the extension department.

On the plus side:

- the font rendering is awesome, on my Dell XPS Linux has never looked this good without messing with the font settings
- Slack doesn't break Firefox any more. Still, I hate Slack
- startup time has improved. Slightly, but you can still tell

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Mon May 18, 2020 2:49 pm

Seeking books and lessons to learn Greek (the Greek of Plato, not the current one).

Obviously I need it to write a great Clojure package, what are you thinking?

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Mon May 18, 2020 11:52 pm

Ancient Greek. You are insane. :)

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Tue May 19, 2020 7:11 am

Just a bit. :)

The reason is that for all the philosophy I've been into since last summer, Plato's writing style is just incredible. Not that Kant isn't a master writer, of course, but I don't know, I just love how Plato uses dialogues to push forward his ideas, so I'd like to give it a try with the original texts instead of the translated ones.

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Tue May 19, 2020 4:54 pm

I upgraded the kids machine to Focal and it's ok... it seems to have broken folding at home client. Minecraft and Steam still works so I'm ok there :)
I want to totally de-bloat my work laptop, as it only does work. and a 2015 i7 is feeling the heat (literally) now and again under load (ie more that ten chrome tabs and a shell open. just need to get up one morning and wipe the thing. not sure If I should wipe win 10 off it. I never use it and it takes up 2/3 of the SSD.
I can grab the serial off it and put it on another machine I understand (or just run it free)
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

gutterslob
Resident Tranny

Unread post by gutterslob » Tue May 19, 2020 5:58 pm

GekkoP wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 2:49 pm
Seeking books and lessons to learn Greek (the Greek of Plato, not the current one).

Obviously I need it to write a great Clojure package, what are you thinking?
I took a look a Clojure once. Seemed more Greek than actual Greek to me. Then again, I'm in the Haskell camp (just a fan, not an expert), and Clojure seemed the exact opposite of Haskell, so I guess there was a bit of negativity on my part.

wuxmedia wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 4:54 pm
I want to totally de-bloat my work laptop, as it only does work. and a 2015 i7 is feeling the heat (literally) now and again under load (ie more that ten chrome tabs and a shell open. just need to get up one morning and wipe the thing. not sure If I should wipe win 10 off it. I never use it and it takes up 2/3 of the SSD.
Maybe you should open it up and give the CPU a re-paste first (also clean the fan and vents, obviously). Unless those 10 Chrome tabs are running some crazy javascript animations concurrently, a five year old i7 shouldn't be heating up that bad, right?

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Wed May 20, 2020 12:06 am

gutterslob wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 5:58 pm
Unless those 10 Chrome tabs are running some crazy javascript animations concurrently, a five year old i7 shouldn't be heating up that bad, right?
Exactly. I can run more than 50 Chrome tabs on my machine, it is an i5. It is not getting hot but if something in the browser, also in Firefox, is using heavy Javascript animation shit it can heat up and stay there unless I kill or close the offending tab.

@Wux. You should also try the Auto Tab Discard extension for Chrome and Firefox. It helps to reduce some of the RAM usage by too many tabs open. Though I recently maxed my machine to 16 GB, the reason for the insane amount of tabs open. :)

I have to be honest. I am more happy with my old Dell Latitude than I was with the Thinkpad except the keyboard.

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Wed May 20, 2020 7:48 am

gutterslob wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 5:58 pm
I took a look a Clojure once. Seemed more Greek than actual Greek to me. Then again, I'm in the Haskell camp (just a fan, not an expert), and Clojure seemed the exact opposite of Haskell, so I guess there was a bit of negativity on my part.
Honestly, I like both camps. I may slightly prefer Clojure syntax but only because I am more accustomed to (e)lisp than anything else right now. Still, the little I learned of Haskell really made me appreciate it.

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Wed May 20, 2020 7:33 pm

Yes I do need to clean out the fan and re-paste the cpu. the intakes are totally caked with, well, possibly cake. dust and junk.
I mean ambiently it is getting hotter here too.

I've got a new battery coming so.... unlikely to get 8 hours of battery, but 3 or 4 would be amazing. current top actually working is around 2 hrs. with the screen off it will go to 3 hours..of course.

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Wed May 20, 2020 7:33 pm

pidsley
Hermit

Unread post by pidsley » Wed May 20, 2020 8:20 pm

^ I like it.

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Thu May 21, 2020 6:59 am

^^ Immediately used to check my websites and it works as expected.

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Thu May 21, 2020 7:12 am

it's a bash script wrapped in PHP, as you may have guessed :D
I told our CTO who immediately and brutally introduced me to a problem; searching for 'example.com ; cat /etc/passed' also works as expected.
that's fixed now though ;)

The next thing I seem to have to create is a decent IP checker. Like where it is (sorry Urkraine and Moldovia) so I can ban it, what the subnet is and another few things, there are a load of IP checkers, but they are mostly all not quite what I want.

pidsley
Hermit

Unread post by pidsley » Thu May 21, 2020 1:54 pm

^ I would definitely use that IP checker (I am an admin on another non-linux forum and often have to look up IPs for new registrations and other places where people look dodgy).

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Thu May 21, 2020 11:15 pm

wuxmedia wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 7:33 pm
I MADE A THING:
https://wuxmedia.com/php.test.php
That is really cool.

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Fri May 22, 2020 9:13 am

pidsley wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 1:54 pm
^ I would definitely use that IP checker (I am an admin on another non-linux forum and often have to look up IPs for new registrations and other places where people look dodgy).
currently this is my fave:
https://www.geodatatool.com/
mainly because it clears the damn search bar so you can put another IP in without buggering about selecting and deleting it.
i don't really need the map, I do, personally, want the subnet to ban a whole range and a whois to find out who owns the range (OVH and Hetzner and even AWS get banned with me, have to be careful the customer hadn't set up some thing on AWS to link up with their site though) like are you browsing this site on your VPS mate?

I might look at making another then with this template.

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Fri May 22, 2020 9:30 am

I bought the domains for my websites from OVH, you evil man!

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Sat May 23, 2020 8:03 pm

^ lol yeah a domain sure, but not using a VPS to attack websites ?