/dev/null

Forum rules
We believe in Hello and Thank You.
pidsley
Hermit

Re: /dev/null

Unread post by pidsley » Thu May 27, 2021 11:41 pm

More news about the Freenode kerfuffle: https://www.gentoo.org/news/2021/05/26/ ... acked.html

Gentoo has also now moved to libera.chat.

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Fri May 28, 2021 8:17 pm

I think we are still on 'free'node.
I listened to a 20 min explanation: https://2.5admins.com/2-5-admins-40/
and yeah same, don't care that much. if anyone is super upset I can spin up a Mattermost on the server. I'd rather not. but.. talking shit to rust_collector, I think we're ok on freenode.
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

vic
Godot

Unread post by vic » Mon May 31, 2021 8:48 am

That is ok here, I am a slow thinker, and a slow typer, so the forum fits me better anyway. :)

Fantastic summer temperature outside these last days. Love it. :))
Sorry guys, no signature for a while, too busy with life. :|

rust collector
Motörhead

Unread post by rust collector » Mon May 31, 2021 11:04 am

yeah, all I have seen so far, is that the people who used to work there are upset. We can always move if anything happens.

And yes, the weather is very summery up here as well. it went down to 15c this morning.

vic
Godot

Unread post by vic » Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:05 am

Why the fuck does my bookmarks always end up in complete and utter chaos?

gutterslob
Resident Tranny

Unread post by gutterslob » Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:17 pm

^ Look on the bright side. Having a cluttered bookmarks folder means you won't have a gazillion tabs open in your browser for weeks, which means you'll be able to close your browser from time to time allowing the privacy.resist.fingerprinting=true setting to actually have an effect.

On a side note, although I've managed to cure my tab addiction, the habit seems to have spilled over to Netflix's My List now. Previously I'd leave browser tabs open thinking I'd eventually get to reading the content but never did, and now I add crap I think I'll eventually watch to Netflix's list even when I know I'll probably never get around to it.

vic
Godot

Unread post by vic » Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:07 am

Thanks for the positive twist on the bookmark chaos, appreciate it. The Netflix My List chaos deserves a rant in my opinion. If they wanted they could easily fix this, but Netflix probably want us subscribers (or is it suckers?) to stay logged in browsing, chasing whatever we are looking for too long, so we loose sleep over some bullshit and have a bad day at work the day after. ;D

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:11 am

I've only just now discovered includeIf for my Git config, useful to use different credentials (home and work). It took me long enough, damn me.

vic
Godot

Unread post by vic » Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:18 am

I ´ve been in a really shitty mood lately. It is like I am preparing myself for some kind of worst case scenario situation. And everyday is like I am just digging this hole deeper and deeper.

Will have to invent a ladder to climb.

rust collector
Motörhead

Unread post by rust collector » Mon Nov 08, 2021 6:01 pm

if some worst case thing happens, being in a shitty mood won't help.
Have you been outside?

and, I think I have a ladder you can use, but I need it back before the end of june...

vic
Godot

Unread post by vic » Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:09 pm

Yeah, have been outside. Got important meeting planned at work tomorrow. Hoping for a positive outcome.

Will keep my shitty mood under control. :D

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:08 am

I hope the meeting went well.
I've been having some sort of waking up dread, I thought it was various forms etc which need to be filled in and boring life stuff. Those all seem to be mostly done now and it's not hugely better.

vic
Godot

Unread post by vic » Wed Nov 10, 2021 4:27 am

The meeting went ok. We are having problems with some guys that definitely not are doing their share. Really frustrating, therefore the shitty mood Still not good, just feel more like an edgy bitch. :D

Going to make a few changes in my approach to how I do my part, and try to confront the freeloaders in a more clearer way of what is expected of them. Will have a talk to my boss today, or at least this week, about it. Let us hope he approves of my ideas and maybe throw in some good feedback that I can use.

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:59 pm

thumbs up mate.

vic
Godot

Unread post by vic » Thu Nov 11, 2021 4:15 am

Holy crap! I did not see this one coming. The other teamleader ( I am the other) in my department said he had enough of it and just want to do the regular stuff. Probably for the best, but not of sure what will come out of this. Will keep you updated.

rust collector
Motörhead

Unread post by rust collector » Sat Nov 13, 2021 4:25 pm

I did not see this coming, but with the emacs people, it did not surprise me much

https://github.com/qdot/deldo

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:26 pm

vic wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 4:15 am
Holy crap! I did not see this one coming. The other teamleader ( I am the other) in my department said he had enough of it and just want to do the regular stuff. Probably for the best, but not of sure what will come out of this. Will keep you updated.
Not really sure enough of your work, does that mean he is bowing out as team leader? All good experience I suppose.

vic
Godot

Unread post by vic » Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:34 am

Yes, he is bowing out as team leader. We had one shift each, alternating between day and evening. Oh my work, a very simple one. I work in a warehouse for steel and metal products, we buy and sell to everything from one man handy men firms to off - shore constructors.

So what happens now? After a couple of days back and forth about different solutions my boss came to me Friday morning smiling (and I kind of knew what was coming) and suggested that I would take over as team leader for both shifts. Just work day, maybe flex some hours when necessary if some special situation required my presence there. A promotion kind of. More work, responsibility and a ridiculous low amount of extra money for it. Pure bs in my opinion, and since I wont work evening shift any more I will loose the extra for that. It will even out I think, have not done the math about it. I accepted of course. :D

The reason behind this is that there is not any suitable candidate among the guys there to take over for the other guy who is bowing out. So I said yes, let us try this and see how it will work out. Personally I believe it will work out quite well, and maybe some things will come out better compared to how it has been for a while. Since my co - team leader on the other shift have been slacking off for too long. Time will tell. Oh, just for the record, we are only eleven guys with me included at the moment, and my boss have the personnel responsibilities so I do not have to take that part which can be a slippery slope.

My work will have to do more with the practical organizing of day to day stuff, problem solving in the heat of the moment, and the further development of how we organize the work and logistics of the goods. Which I actually like to work with and that will also mean more brain work and less muscle work which in the end will spare my tired shoulders. :)

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:56 pm

rust collector wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 4:25 pm
I did not see this coming, but with the emacs people, it did not surprise me much

https://github.com/qdot/deldo
That is hilarious.

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:51 am

vic wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:34 am
My work will have to do more with the practical organizing of day to day stuff, problem solving in the heat of the moment, and the further development of how we organize the work and logistics of the goods. Which I actually like to work with and that will also mean more brain work and less muscle work which in the end will spare my tired shoulders. :)
Well that is good, not more money is not so great for managing two shifts though. Keep an eye out for anyone capable of refilling both team leads and maybe you'll get a more specialized fresh job in the logistics side?
Having experience with logistics must also be a good experience thing and transferable.