/dev/null

Forum rules
We believe in Hello and Thank You.
rhowaldt
Dog

Re: /dev/null

Unread post by rhowaldt » Mon May 26, 2014 8:07 am

hahaha, perfect :)
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

vic
Godot

Unread post by vic » Sat May 31, 2014 11:37 am

Getting myself a good "Donkey Punch" in vbox. :D

bones
Clooney

Unread post by bones » Sat May 31, 2014 2:58 pm

^ Driving Arch w/Gnome 3 atm, so also enjoying a donkey punch! :D

vic
Godot

Unread post by vic » Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:36 am

^Took the for me comfy Debian jessie/sid route myself.

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:15 pm

time for somebody to post a roast recipe for that mythic Donkey Punch.
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

bones
Clooney

Unread post by bones » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:31 pm

Well, just laid down a chunk of change for a Macbook Air for our daughter, who graduates from high school on Friday. Gulp!

vic
Godot

Unread post by vic » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:41 am

Have been helping out with an upgrade on a Macbook Pro for my father in law who do not understand anything of computer stuff. No I do not understand much either :D, that is why he got a Mac :) Hmmm that is a thought...a good reason for getting one, and it is ehm...very nice.

RandomCharacter
Gangbanger

Unread post by RandomCharacter » Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:38 pm

vic, that is why many refer to Macs as "appliances". You turn them on, and they just work, for people who don't care about the inner workings. This is not to say Mac users are stupid, they can do quite genius things with their applications, which is what they are focused on doing.

I used to work in a large bank as an Oracle DBA. I was very often amazed by things my users could do with MS Excel, users who had a difficult time changing their passwords.

Tim

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:07 pm

ja, and this is also the reason why more computer-savvy people tend to dislike Macs, because they insist on taking the controls away from you. at least that is why i dislike everything to do with Apple, except the iPod Nano Classic (of course, of course)

bones
Clooney

Unread post by bones » Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:32 pm

I'll have to respectfully disagree with the idea that the inner workings and controls are taken away from you on a Mac. Savvy power users know how to get to these things. The only thing that is really beyond the ability to meaningfully change is the UI, and even that is somewhat hackable. You get a bash console, and even that is easily changeable to zsh, ksh, csh, tcsh (all already installed). Don't like that iTunes can't fucking deal with FLAC files? Use something else that does. Sure, it's not Linux, but if I only had Mac OSX or Windows to choose from, you can bet your ass I'd choose OSX any day of the week. Don't get me wrong, I've got plenty of gripes about Apple and their products, too, but for now I will not bite the hand that feeds me. :)

RandomCharacter
Gangbanger

Unread post by RandomCharacter » Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:51 pm

I agree with bones. You can get into the inner workings of a Mac, if you want to. I occasionally use terminal, ssh, scp, etc on my son's Macbook Pro. There is a full UNIX-type OS under the hood. It's well hidden, but it's there.

Tim

Alad
should take a shower

Unread post by Alad » Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:30 pm

I guess as long as there's MacPorts (and you can disable GATEKEEPER) ... Apple's really crashing down on GPL 3 - as FreeBSD - so by default you have outdated tools like Bash v3.
It's funny how we used to be able to do real stuff with rudimentary computers, but now we can't. -- ratcheer

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:09 am

i must say my experience with Apple products does not include many hours on a Mac. as for customizability: it is usually the UI i am dissatisfied with, and as you say, that is often the most difficult thing to change. i am sure shit is hackable, but it is the entire philosophy behind their designs (ie. the fact that you need to *hack* it in the first place instead of just being given some options), what they call their 'unified design' or whatever, and what i call 'others thinking they know better than me what i want', that discourages me from using their products. i am not saying that is wrong or whatever, it is just why i personally stay away from them.

this might all be fueled by my anger towards the retardation of the iPod Touch UI though.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:14 am

^ very well said, bro!
..gnutella..

vic
Godot

Unread post by vic » Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:58 am

^^Yes, have the same feelings about it more or less. Bling & bloat and a phancy shmanzy DE is fun for fifteen minutes, then I just want to crawl back in my b/w OpenBox wiping the tears of joy of being back in my comfortable austerity zone. But really there were another thing I wondered about, what is this???

http://finalterm.org/

Alad
should take a shower

Unread post by Alad » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:01 am

Holy! No more aliases? :D

/reads on...
Final Term stands on the shoulders of giants by building on proven, powerful open source technologies such as GTK+ 3, Clutter and Mx.

Final Term is written in 100% Vala, the language of Desktop Linux's future, and runs at native speed without the need for any runtime.
:-(
It's funny how we used to be able to do real stuff with rudimentary computers, but now we can't. -- ratcheer

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:36 am

Reflow like a pro. On Linux.
This feature, as famously seen in the Mac OS terminal, has been among the most requested ones from Linux terminal programs for several years now.
Well, the wait is over. Final Term does it, no need for hacks (screen), no questions asked.
GNU screen is a 'hack' ? Ivan - sharpen your blade...
and i3 and Urxvt happily resizes 'like a pro' too.

Still, command completion popups and context menus don't sound too evil.
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:38 am

I bet if you use 'command completion popups' for a while, they are more annoying than a double-tap-tab. Didn't we once try a test install of Final Term a few months ago and it pulled in like 60MB of shit? Naaah, not for popups :D
..gnutella..

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:44 am

[troll]
http://www.tecmint.com/linux-terminal-emulators/
[/troll]

Spot #1 Terminator
Spot #20 urxvt (!)

Comment quote:
It’s commercial, but I’ve been a user of VanDyke Software’s SecureCRT for years now. Originally only for windows, they ported it to Linux and OSX a few years back and it’s become my go-to term app on all 3 platforms.
..gnutella..

vic
Godot

Unread post by vic » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:51 am

Thanks for the responses guys, wow :)