GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Re: /dev/null

Unread post by GekkoP » Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:33 am

ivanovnegro wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:56 pm
rust collector wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 4:25 pm
I did not see this coming, but with the emacs people, it did not surprise me much

https://github.com/qdot/deldo
That is hilarious.
I have no part in that whatsoever, I swear.

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:34 pm

GekkoP wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:33 am
ivanovnegro wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:56 pm
rust collector wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 4:25 pm
I did not see this coming, but with the emacs people, it did not surprise me much

https://github.com/qdot/deldo
That is hilarious.
I have no part in that whatsoever, I swear.
That's OK I think the part goes in 'you' :D then you can swear :D
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

vic
Godot

Unread post by vic » Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:40 am

wuxmedia wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:51 am
vic wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:34 am
My work will have to do more with the practical organizing of day to day stuff, problem solving in the heat of the moment, and the further development of how we organize the work and logistics of the goods. Which I actually like to work with and that will also mean more brain work and less muscle work which in the end will spare my tired shoulders. :)
Well that is good, not more money is not so great for managing two shifts though. Keep an eye out for anyone capable of refilling both team leads and maybe you'll get a more specialized fresh job in the logistics side?
Having experience with logistics must also be a good experience thing and transferable.
Yes, agree with you here, and wish now that I have had studied logistics when younger. Anyway, content for the moment, and have a good feeling for the future work situation. :)
Sorry guys, no signature for a while, too busy with life. :|

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:30 am

^ That's great. Having never studied computers, apart from 20 years ago, I feel you.
But teaching the thing is great, but often not a substitue for day to day real life experience.

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Fri Dec 24, 2021 3:40 pm

Scary stats:

Code: Select all

~/.emacs.d$ git log --pretty='format:%cd' --date=format:'%Y' | uniq -c | awk '{print "Year: "$2", commits: "$1}'
Year: 2021, commits: 1539
Year: 2020, commits: 1944
Year: 2019, commits: 1985
Year: 2018, commits: 676
Year: 2017, commits: 608
Year: 2016, commits: 775
Year: 2015, commits: 1397
Year: 2014, commits: 305

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:00 am

As much as I left my gamer self behind, MAME still satisfies me with some old school ROMs. Mainly Street Fighter II for old time sake.

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:04 pm

^ Speaking of games, we just received the PS4 Pro for Christmas, yep. It is really ages that I was gaming at all. Not that I am really gaming that much yet but with lock downs and all this bullshit it is a pleasure to have something more do at home and it supports 4k for our Blu-rays that the DVD player does not.

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:57 am

^ Some years ago I gave my PS3 to my brother-in-law. A gift, if you will, but I actually wanted to get rid of something that was really taking up some valuable time. I got it in 2012 and for about the next two years I was crazy back into games. Not many, frankly, but I spent countless hours with Wipeout HD and Ultra Street Fighter IV. I had some fun, especially racing online with other Wipeout maniacs, but still, after a while I was getting the feeling of time wasted.

However, I pretty much grew up with video games so inevitably every now and then I just like to revamp the old pleasant feeling of kicking virtual butts.

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:00 pm

^ I still remember playing Street Fighter when I was a kid.

I know what you mean about wasting time in front of a console for hours but I am still or better said newly just a casual gamer. Between work, running and mountain biking there are no more hours left for the rest of the day and I still do the reading on paper and electronic, music (Discogs and Bandcamp) and of course movies and thanks to you and also your blog the list of must-watch titles is growing.

I guess the positive here is that I have enough stuff to enjoy that I am not getting bored.

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:13 pm

Me too, very similar. I got a Wii (just the old one) very cheap in a yard sale. and a TV to go with - which was already soft modded So I got some games on an old USB HDD all good :)
Yeah spent many hours with many consoles, they are all a bit of a 'waste of a time' but yeah a nice waste of time.
Currently mostly staring off into space in a dark room does me for downtime.

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Wed Feb 02, 2022 2:28 pm

Sanremo started yesterday and as usual Italians went crazy. I was watching Euroleague basketball, so who knows.

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:37 am

I think I may have said this already but I have discovering (once again) the pleasure of weekly newsletters to avoid the constant barrage of daily feeds, news, and updates. Old fashioned, sure, but relaxing.

vic
Godot

Unread post by vic » Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:57 pm

I totally see your point on this. The constant flow of "news" in every channel is very stressful, and those "news" consists 99% of pure bs.

I will log out now, before I crack up into a rant I will regret. :D

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Fri Mar 11, 2022 6:37 pm

Probably I (or someone else) already shared this, but this is so good and valuable in this day and age: https://nohello.net

vic
Godot

Unread post by vic » Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:32 pm

Yes, it has happened to me, what is the bloody point in saying "Hi" and nada else?

The weekend is here, and it is wonderful to chill with some cool music and check out some stuff on the web. :)

vic
Godot

Unread post by vic » Sun Mar 27, 2022 2:36 pm

All well here, life stuff is keeping me very occupied at the moment. And in addition I suspect there will be a busy week at work again. Plus, I hope this horrible war will come to an end. Why can´t people live in peace?

gutterslob
Resident Tranny

Unread post by gutterslob » Fri May 13, 2022 11:36 am

^ Mullvad's DNS filtering is nowhere near enough to neuter mobile devices, particularly Android.

A Linux desktop doesn't 'phone home' every other second, so Mullvad's DNS blocking is good enough since it's only your browser you need to worry about (and we have uBlock Origin for that), but on mobile every app is a voyeur, or closet-voyeur at the very least (meaning they use SDKs or libraries provided by Google, Facebook etc). Domains related to Google's firebase analytics or Facebook's graph only get blocked by the most merciless filterlists, like 1Hosts Pro.

Also, technically, I'm only preferring NextDNS for my non-VPN'd connection. That's why I set it in Android's Private DNS setting. I'm not the best at elucidating stuff, so maybe that's why you were mistaken.

My problem is that setting your preferred DoT provider in Android overrides Mullvad's DNS servers (on iOS, the moment you enable your VPN the system-wide DoH/DoT you set deactivates itself, allowing the VPN's DNS to take over). That's why I mentioned using Bromite's own Secure DNS setting to set Mullvad's own DoH address (the same way you'd override systemwide DNS in Linux using the 'Enable DoH' part of Firefox's Network settings), but as I mentioned, the upstream Chromium bug causes DNS request leakage.

NextDNS is actually pretty useful for catching stuff like this, since you can view its logs (just make sure you set logs to be stored in Switzerland). That's how I caught the DNS requests leaking from Bromite. You can also do the same with something like PiHole or AdGuard Home (which I have running on my router), but I didn't want to connect this particular device to my home network under any circumstance, hence the reliance on NextDNS.

Anyways, if you need some tips on DNS filtering, feel free to ask.

Edit:
I didn't expect you to get a Mullvad account after me mentioning them. I hope you've done some of your own research as well. Don't just rely on word of mouth from a fool on the internet! Fwiw, I do have a couple of complaints about Mullvad, biggest one being their mobile apps, especially the iOS/iPadOS version. For that reason, I actually have an account with another provider called IVPN exclusively for my iDevices. They've got a similar philosophy (also no details required to create account), lose out in server numbers but mobile apps are better finished.

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Fri May 13, 2022 11:39 am

Great, thanks for the clarification.

And yes, I think you're great at elucidating stuff. ;)

gutterslob
Resident Tranny

Unread post by gutterslob » Fri May 13, 2022 12:30 pm

Just the last 7 days, didn't even use it that much.
Basically: 1Hosts Pro – (oisd + Lightswitch05) = Google and Facebook trackers built into SDKs or libraries used by apps, plus maybe some Google/Samsung location services.

Image Image

Bloody thing should be thrown in jail for sexually harassing me!!

Scariest thing is the numbers don't include callbacks that apps like WhatsApp or Telegram make, because those go straight to IP addresses hardcoded in the apps themselves. You could even try blocking Facebook's ASN and WhatsApp would still work. Ugh!!

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Fri May 13, 2022 12:31 pm

gutterslob wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 11:36 am
Edit:
I didn't expect you to get a Mullvad account after me mentioning them. I hope you've done some of your own research as well. Don't just rely on word of mouth from a fool on the internet! Fwiw, I do have a couple of complaints about Mullvad, biggest one being their mobile apps, especially the iOS/iPadOS version. For that reason, I actually have an account with another provider called IVPN exclusively for my iDevices. They've got a similar philosophy (also no details required to create account), lose out in server numbers but mobile apps are better finished.
No, actually I've been looking around for a while for a new VPN. I started with PrivateVPN some years ago only because I wanted something cheap for torrenting, but Mullvad's philosophy is closer to what I think right now.