/dev/null

Forum rules
We believe in Hello and Thank You.
wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Re: /dev/null

Unread post by wuxmedia » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:04 pm

Yes, whatever his political leanings, being a racilist, pissing in the EUpool and then fucking off was major Dick move
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:42 pm

The EU should exit itself. I want my Deutschmark back. :)

edit: and build up the wall again, move all the ex-GDR pieces of shit back to where they belong. Merkel first.
..gnutella..

vic
Godot

Unread post by vic » Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:13 pm

It will be a long weekend. Family and stuff, plus doing some maintenance work on the house. But it is okay really. It has been planned since a couple of weeks, and some long overdue work with the electrical setup in the house will be done and finished. I will not do that work though, it is better to let someone that knows what he is doing do it. So when Monday comes there will be one thing less on the neverending list of things that should have been done three years ago, and which gives me this creepy feeling of inadequacy and failure.

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:49 pm

No worries Vic. I have no clue about electrical stuff at my home. Let the experts do their work. ;)

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:23 pm

I have no clue/training, still managed to wire our house in France up from scratch :)
To French Regulations as well, otherwise they won't let you have the connection.
I did read a book about it, which seemed more concerned with where to chase channels in plaster walls than anything else.
It's all quite simple, at least the french way with spur (european) is. I don't quite get the slightly odd cheap out UK ring system.
with the new circuit breakers almost impossible to have any incidents.

rust collector
Motörhead

Unread post by rust collector » Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:37 am

The more I think about it, the safer electricity seems to be, for a diy project.
At least electrons don't leak out, and flood your basement.

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:52 am

^ yeah, it generally works, or doesn't work.
those push fit connectors are great as well, doing the main board/box was quite tricky, was great knowing where stuff is, moving a wall, no probs, kill that circuit - pull the partition wall out, move the wires, refit sockets. you could even buy prefitted pipes with wires in it.
early days we had the whole house running off one plug, when i finally upgraded (they turned it off) I found the box with the junction in it (a 'domino' had melted all the plastic off.
Quite glad they made me upgrade.

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:56 am

The UK system is a bit of an anachronism, I think, compared to eurostyle, it's very cheap, one 13A wire with all the sockets off it, in series, then another for lighting. I suppose that's why we have fuses in the plugs also.
Generally upstairs and downstairs, when a blown bulb or unit trips the system as its a right pain to track down.

vic
Godot

Unread post by vic » Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:14 pm

Monday. The electrical upgrade, with a couple of new installations went really well. Good to know people that know what they are doing. What i did? I stayed in the kitchen cooking a coouple of nice meals. Thanks for the moral support guys. :)

noo_b_nomnoms
MILF

Unread post by noo_b_nomnoms » Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:13 am

Hi, y'all!
I just spent the last month with my wife on board the truck. It would have been perfect, except....
We had to take the Cocker Spaniel and the Rat Terrier along for the ride.
It was still a great time. We had to share a single bed with the critters, had to stop more than I'm used to for walks, and some actions are very hard to perform with an audience, but nobody was killed and fun was had regardless.
My wife's addiction to Netflix and Hulu have prevented me from keeping up with bbq activities, so now I am back on lurking duties, lols.
I see some spins were updated, but I'm really interested in reinstalling that spin that I can't pronounce or spell- Egeszsegedre. I kinda miss cwm and M****** and U***** aren't turning my gears.
Plus I missed you guys :(
OK! You are now caught up!
Any best/latest cwm spin?
I know! Checking the releases thread, lols!
Sir! Put down the hammer and slowly step away from the computer.

pidsley
Hermit

Unread post by pidsley » Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:27 am

^ Welcome back.

If you really like Egeszsegedre, go ahead and install it again. It's based on Jessie, so I bet it will upgrade with little difficulty.

If you want cwm on sid, try swikee.

noo_b_nomnoms
MILF

Unread post by noo_b_nomnoms » Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:52 am

So my old Egeszsegedre will still work? :)
I think I remember going to the Liqourix kernel after an upgrade on another Jessie spin because of an Xorg update that didn't like my Radeon, but I think E has the kernel tool, so no probs! :)
Thank you, Pidsley! I need to clean up a little space on a partition, and it's off to the grill!

pidsley
Hermit

Unread post by pidsley » Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:04 am

noo_b_nomnoms wrote:So my old Egeszsegedre will still work? :)
It should -- if it doesn't, start a support thread. I think I even have a machine or two with amd graphics I could test on, but no promises. :)

noo_b_nomnoms
MILF

Unread post by noo_b_nomnoms » Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:22 am

^ This is what I really enjoy, anyways! Just getting in there and making it work :)
I really want to see if I can replicate what I did with E the first time, so I am going back through my scrot thread to see where I made my mistakes and how they were corrected.
That ought to keep me busy for a while, lols. As I recall, I went with the ohsnap fonts that I saw on one of your scrots, and it just so happens I saved them!
Thanks again, Pidsley!

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:01 pm

nomnomnom welcome back again! We missed you toooooo
..gnutella..

vic
Godot

Unread post by vic » Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:02 pm

Fuq, my T400 is dying. :((

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:55 pm

^ please elaborate
..gnutella..

vic
Godot

Unread post by vic » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:04 pm

^Yes of course. Sorry, got a lttle meltdown :D When I turn on the machine, the boot stops at the first screen where it says "Thinkpad To interrupt ordinary boot press blue think vantage button" or something similar. Nothing happens. No matter what I do. The only thing that I can do it seems is to turn it off with the power button.

Have not had time to investigate much further, but know that it got a ssd disk. And that it is not possible to boot from neither cd or usb. Yes, tried with removing the battery too, but with no reaction. Ideas are welcome. Maybe try with another hd? :)

catfood
Bad Advice Dog

Unread post by catfood » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:52 pm

Mines a Toshiba, but it just decided to stop booting too. Tried removing HD, RAM, batt, no luck. I tested its HD in another comp 1st just for the slim chance it was frying hard drives. It booted fine jumpered elsewhere, so put another one in it to test.

Took it apart to give motherboard alcohol bath. Whoever owned it last used like a tablespoon of thermal grease on the cpu. It melted over the edge and was shorting it to itself.

All the guides Id read recently said unplug one wire at a time til you find culprit. Keyboard, touchpad, screen, wifi, etc. Any short anywhere can make it fail cpu tests within 1st few seconds then not run...

Google your model # and won't boot. Probably 100 other people had the same problem at some point. Maybe a common simple fix for those. Probably at least 1 youtube video showing full dissasemly and all screw locations too.
Thank You!
(I remember when debian "non-gui" installer scared me. #never-forget)

rust collector
Motörhead

Unread post by rust collector » Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:36 pm

Vic, I found a few reports of usb cables shorting to the ground/socket metal thing around the usb connector.
I dunno, but that would be worth looking at