A bro hug and a handshake

Forum rules
We believe in Hello and Thank You.
dkeg
Configurator

A bro hug and a handshake

Unread post by dkeg » Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:28 pm

For those deserved. Who care's who. Who care's why. What matters is what you think.

And what better way to start this off than with a tight stubby filled hug to our friend Machinebacon.

Thank you for offering this community and all the great work you have put into the LinuxBBQ. Seriously man, thank you.

And to all the grillmeisters. TBH, if it wasn't for this place, I may have lost interest by now. I really enjoy the people here and the community. Its great the diversity we have here. If you think about it, it really is quite impressive. So thanks for that.

fwiw, I'm not drinking, well okay, one beer.

Work hard; Complain less

pidsley
Hermit

Re: A bro hug and a handshake

Unread post by pidsley » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:14 pm

Yes, a big thank you to Machinebacon and to everyone else who makes this place special.

I just have to read the BBQ Philosophy to remember why I'm here. Where other people actually use some of the obscure shit, where the scrots don't all look the same, and where people either stay or go, fit in or not, and that's all OK. The ones who stay form a solid core of people I consider friends (as much as I have friends) who support and encourage each other to try the untried, post about it, share it, and enjoy what we do as a hobby.

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:38 pm

back atcha guys!
How many people get personal spins from the Grillmeister?
Oh yes, Us!
I have to say, although I may have said it before, I don't think I would have got this job - which I am loving, if I hadn't embarked upon, and been encouraged by this group.
Particularly CLI skills. with a love and enjoyment shown by everyone of what's out there, in Linuxland.
Obviously a special mention to Bacon and his infectious helpfulness (where so deserved, and even when not)
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

ChefIronBelly
Approved BBQer

Unread post by ChefIronBelly » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:20 am

I have only been around here a week or so and I wasn't sure what I would find after registering. I knew that the baconator was cranking it and the names of the releases were classic. That was enough to get me in the door. But now I can see there is a talented bunch sharing there knowledge freely and with a sense of humor. Its kind of a breath of fresh air and like I said in my intro making it and keeping it fun.

now bring it in and give the chef a hug :D

(1/1) Installing: LinuxBBQ...................................[69%]==============[/]

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:48 am

Guys, threads/posts like these make my day. It's not about what I do or did, but about what you make of it.

I mean, we have originally split off over there #!--> because a thread like this would 1) have never happened and 2) would have been flushed down the toilet in minutes. Then out of nothing we had something to work on, and I should mention firstly rho (at the beginning of LinuxNoob) who has put a lot of time and effort in getting the documentation done (and which is, by the way, frequently linked to by other forums and wikis), and of course on the more technical side the efforts of pidsley who has taken the time and energy to check the shit I produced on different machines and showing me ways to improve the releases.
Especially in the last year we have formed a very stable community because of the personal trust and respect we have for each other, and those who joined us later on (and stayed with us) are all good people. I regard all of the fellow grillers (and also those who fill up the General Section with their everyday stories) as my friends , and it's funny that - just as an example - I have never met dkeg in real life, but I *know* that he would be an excellent mate in real life. Also the gesture of pidsley, sending tobacco samples to DebJoe (he even offered it to me and ivanov, though we live in completely other parts of the world) shows that deep down inside we are excellent people, in the way we treat each other and how we "talk" with each other - I doubt I have these quality "friendships" in so-called real life. Probably not.

Of course I bro-hug groupwise :) LinuxBBQ is how a BBQ should be! And this does not first and foremost depend on the meat that is served, but on the guests and the hosts :)
..gnutella..

vic
Godot

Unread post by vic » Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:42 am

Hugs and thanks to you boss and everyone that makes this place what it is.

bones
Clooney

Unread post by bones » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:26 am

Cheers to the baconator, and much love to all the brothers and sisters that meet around the grill. We most certainly have a unique and decent thing going on here. I hope to someday meet up to the high standards and skills of you fine people, and yet I have learned so much already. Yay for us!

kexolino
Common Boob

Unread post by kexolino » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:01 am

Well, I thank da Bacon and friends for this awesome place too, firstly for the general section where I can post some poop in, and secondly for all the technical stuff and the BBQ philosophy, because honestly, the best thing about it all for me is to just get to work on something if it doesn't want to by itself... It may not seem like much, but when I started at #!, I opened a thread to ask for a GUI application for startup apps in Openbox (yes, I shit you not). So yeah, there's something even for common noobs like me who can't post for nothing in technical/support threads :)

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:20 am

^Such a GUI we could produce for you :D
..gnutella..

kexolino
Common Boob

Unread post by kexolino » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:31 am

No thanks, I like to think I've advanced a fair bit since then... Or have I? ;)

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:37 am

If your user interface starts with the letter "g", "k", "x", "l" or "r" - no :D If it contains a "box" or ends with "wm", you are in the gang. If it ends with "term", you have reached God status :D
..gnutella..

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:33 am

Oh yes, hugs to MB and to everyone here that keep this place the beauty that it is.
Been around forums for way too long, yet there's nothing like BBQ. If I'm back to CLI, if I could build LFS, if I'm using Emacs like a crazy dog, if I'm writing little scripts that make me happy... well, it's because of you guys. Keep it going, the grill is special.

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:45 am

not much to add, except my thanks to all of you for hanging around and making this place fun, and agreement with the other sentiments. special mention to Julesy, because if we hadn't started our ranting together, the *noob wouldn't have existed, nor the BBQ. to all the people who followed us here from the barren wastes of #! in the wake of the Psychedelic Shitstorm, and to all those new people who have come out of nowhere to join us - thanks for being cool people (not gonna say 'guys', cuz let's not forget fog and chili :)
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:01 am

^ I was just thinking the other day about a lack of an informal 'peoples' in English.
like 'vous' in french is 'you' plural, as well as formal 'you' (thou)

I did mean 'guys' in a unilateral sense. 8)
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:04 am

I use "guys" cause I remember used it when talking to girls too, such as in Friends. (blaming tv series always works too)

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:09 am

I use "guys" because of fog and chili.
..gnutella..

chilli
Compiler

Unread post by chilli » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:43 am

:D

Hugs all 'round!

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:45 am

I feel saggy tits. Oh, they are my own :D

Sisterly hug, chilli :)
..gnutella..

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:55 pm

'guys' works, just needed a reason to mention the girls (guys ;)
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

DebianJoe
Frame Buffer

Unread post by DebianJoe » Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:15 pm

I really can't express how much I've grown in my enjoyment of this community. It blows my mind how well I've learned the people here, their setups, quirks, lives, etc. I've even developed a sort of trust in recommendations from here. (I trusted Pids with my address and to NOT send me a mail bomb, despite the fact that I'm almost 100% sure he could make a very nice one.)

You guys, despite the fact that I won't ever meet you, are significant to me.
|>>BBQ Roaster, Alpha Branch<< | >> clinky << | >> X11 must die << |
Thanks BASIC