xserver-xorg fix (was: upgrading Bork64)

Forum rules
Please supply only the affected package name as title, with bugreport number (bugs.debian.org) or other sources. This feed can be subscribed to and piped into your RSS reader or conky: http://linuxbbq.org/bbs/feed.php?mode=news
pidsley
Hermit

xserver-xorg fix (was: upgrading Bork64)

Unread post by pidsley » Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:41 pm

A user on IRC was asking about current amd64 spins. The most recent 64-bit spins we have are Bork64 and Lacipecsenye, so I decided to install Bork64 and attempt to upgrade it.

Installation went fine, so I tried a normal dist-upgrade. On reboot, X started but the keyboard and mouse were unresponsive in X. I reinstalled (the point was to determine an install/upgrade path without fixes) and this time I put xserver-xorg-core on hold before the dist-upgrade. Rebooted into X with a working keyboard and mouse.

So it is possible to install and upgrade this 64-bit spin at this point. The next step will be to unhold xorg and dist-upgrade again.

(edit) That did not work. After upgrading xorg, I'm back to an unresponsive keyboard and mouse in X. So holding xserver-xorg-core is necessary for a successful dist-upgrade.

rust collector
Motörhead

Re: upgrading Bork64

Unread post by rust collector » Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:17 pm

Thanks for testing.

dkeg
Configurator

Unread post by dkeg » Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:40 pm

That's great pidsley. Kudos for testing! Yes, definitely keep xserver on hold.

Work hard; Complain less

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:51 pm

Thanks pidsley, I'll sticky this over the board and change the title (because it affects basically all Debian-based spins that are active)
..gnutella..

vic
Godot

Re: XORG Upgrade Warning (was: upgrading Bork64)

Unread post by vic » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:03 am

Great work. :)
Sorry guys, no signature for a while, too busy with life. :|

machinebacon
Baconator

Re: XORG Upgrade Warning (was: upgrading Bork64)

Unread post by machinebacon » Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:58 pm

System setup:

- Adipositas plus X plus spectrwm (any other more or less recent BBQ release will show the same symptoms)
- sysvinit as init system
- systemd not installed
- libpam-systemd not installed

Steps that lead to borkage:
- performed a dist-upgrade on Oct 22
- xserver-* versions bumped to 2:1.17.2-3
- startx brings a cursor and no further reaction -- needs rude shutdown manually (power button) or REISUB

Here comes the fix:
- either chroot into the fucked up installation or log in on a neighbouring TTY (of course you can do these steps inside of a 'held' X, too)
- install "xserver-xorg-legacy" from the repos

Code: Select all

ins xserver-xorg-legacy
- edit /etc/X11/Xwrapper.config as root

sudo editor /etc/X11/Xwrapper.config
add this line at the end

needs_root_rights=yes
save and exit.

This will probably fix 99% of the fucked up systems. The faulty package "xserver-xorg" should not be removed.
..gnutella..

Titan
なまいき

Re: xserver-xorg fix (was: upgrading Bork64)

Unread post by Titan » Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:47 pm

^ I follwed those steps and for a week everything was fine.

Today when I try dist-upgrade almost all X packages are set to be removed.
xorg, xserver-xorg, xserverxorg-core, xserver-xorg-input-evdev xserver-xorg-input-kbd xserver-xorg-input-mouse xserver-xorg-input-synaptics xserver-xorg-video-nvidia ........ and many many more.
* Be fat, be as fat as you fucking please, just don't sit next to me on an aeroplane.
* "The sun never sets on the British Empire...." "Yeah, well, the sun never sets on my asshole!!"
* I am an "old skool" administrator who has been managing UNIX and Linux systems since the early 80s <-- big fkin lol

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:27 pm

^ just wait :)

https://release.debian.org/transitions/ ... dc++6.html

should be this one (warning: it's a big page)
..gnutella..

Titan
なまいき

Unread post by Titan » Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:07 pm

^ thanks for the link, I am reading it now.
You're right its a big page.

Do you have any advice for a stupid noob, who on one machine used dist-upgrade and thought "It's ok if these packages are removed, I can always apt-get them again later" :D
That stupid noob may or may not be myself :)
* Be fat, be as fat as you fucking please, just don't sit next to me on an aeroplane.
* "The sun never sets on the British Empire...." "Yeah, well, the sun never sets on my asshole!!"
* I am an "old skool" administrator who has been managing UNIX and Linux systems since the early 80s <-- big fkin lol

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:36 am

My condolences ;)

Good question - you can check the /var/log/apt/history.log and get the removed packages names from there and install them later (after the transition), usually this should fix it. You might run into some manual /dpkg-reconfigure -a/ and /apt-get install -f/ when dependencies are not correctly resolved, for example when pre/post-install scripts did not run correctly for whatever reason, but that's an easy fix. I am not 100% sure which package caused the removal of xserver-??? (which in turn removes other xserver components), it's like a dependency of another dependency, a bit like *if you tear down the cellar it will also tear down the roof and the kitchen*. So yes - after the transition you can get the removed packages back.

Just never ever type the 'yes, do as I say' if apt warns you. This will definitely fuck up your system.
..gnutella..