installing iceape in Kielbasa 64 bit

Forum rules
Please supply only the affected package name as title, with bugreport number (bugs.debian.org) or other sources. This feed can be subscribed to and piped into your RSS reader or conky: http://linuxbbq.org/bbs/feed.php?mode=news
dkeg
Configurator

installing iceape in Kielbasa 64 bit

Unread post by dkeg » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:06 am

Code: Select all

grave bugs of iceape (-> 2.7.11-1) <unfixed>
Bug#688086: iceape: [sparc] iceape stops with bus error

This is the rc1 Kielbasa not the one you just released. I am running

Code: Select all

Linux bbq 3.6-10.towo-siduction-amd64 #1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Dec 10 20:27:18 UTC 2012 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Work hard; Complain less

machinebacon
Baconator

Re: installing iceape in Kielbasa 64 bit

Unread post by machinebacon » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:10 am

dkeg,

check the output - this is a bug reported for the sparc architecture. We only have i386 and amd64 ;)

You only need to report those bugs that indeed cause problems after installation, not the bugs that are reported by apt-listbugs -- else we will reach several hundreds pages in this section :)
The problem with apt-listbugs is that it just fetches the bugreports from bugs.debian.org even though it doesn't fit our arch. And the problem with bugreports is that basically anyone can file one, even if it doesn't affect other users. That's why we have this section here, where we report those bugs that are

- not reported yet upstream (due to the 'unstable' nature of the packages)
- problems that happen after dist-upgrades (where we only take packages from the repository into account)
- cause indeed breakage after installation

The apt-listbug is set up to make the tracking of bugs easier. Generally, it is advised (?) to provoke breakage, no matter what apt-listbugs says. Of course you can refrain from upgrading if you are afraid of breaking your running system, in most of the cases (like for example applications) the system will generally not break. One only has to be careful if there are bugs in system-relevant files (everything that is eg. related to the xserver, or involved in the system startup, like udev, systemd)

Anyway, thanks for taking your time to report.
..gnutella..

dkeg
Configurator

Unread post by dkeg » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:54 am

thanks machine. And I'm with ya. I wasn't sure exactly should be posted here, so thanks for clarifying. Just trying to bring whatever to the community.

Ask for forgiveness, not permission.

Work hard; Complain less

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:38 am

I'm glad you're part of our community ;)
..gnutella..

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:46 pm

If you run a d-u and apt-listbugs spits grave errors; but still like Bacon said, affecting our archs/apps or your system in specific; then I would investigate it and maybe report it here too. After the freeze we will have such kind of things to happen I guess.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:22 am

Let's hope so, ivan! I'm more concerned abotu the fact that Sid is way too unproblematic in recent weeks. Even with experimentals enabled :D
..gnutella..