BOOK! (Hardcopy edition)

Forum rules
We believe in Hello and Thank You.
simgin
Meme Fodder

Re: BOOK! (Hardcopy edition)

Unread post by simgin » Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:02 pm

^ Just wow! Fuck me, I want one of those. Will you be reading it with satin gloves? :D
Someone told me that I am delusional, I almost fell off my unicorn.

bones
Clooney

Unread post by bones » Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:43 am

It's actually the Barnes & Noble edition, price was reasonable, and the book invites reading (for me) rather than feeling the need to baby it.

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:03 am

It's a good one, obviously. I had that and Asimov as a kid.
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:58 pm

bones
Clooney

Unread post by bones » Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:16 pm

Next up:

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:07 pm

Fact: I've never been so obsessed about a film as I am obsessed about this one. I'm collecting every piece of writing and film around just to keep it closer to me. I know, I'm a nerd.

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:54 pm

^ Do not even think about it. I knew Raphael doesn't go light on his cricitism for Kubrick (read: plain insults), but it's just a boring, dull read it's hard to believe Kubrick picked him for the script of Eyes Wide Shut. Already threw the book in the bin.

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:40 pm

throwing books in the bin reminded me of a book-related story.

4 years ago or so, we were on a roadtrip through Eastern Europe with a bunch of friends. Our last stop was the Schwarzwald, where we had this nice wooden bungalow on the edge of the forest. In front of the bungalow's patio-thingy was a barren piece of ground, and we used this to make a fire. Some people go to the supermarket (to get booze, cause we were cool like that, drinking and shit), and we make the fire.

One of my friends was reading one of the parts of the Game of Thrones series (I don't fucking know which one okay. Probably "A Song of Ice and Fire", I hear a lot of people mentioning that title). He was loving it of course, and always had it with him. He also took it with him on the bus to the supermarket (to get the booze, remember?).

So, they return from their shopping trip, and see the fire. My friend jumps out of the car, shouts "Fire!!", runs up to the fire and throws his fucking book into it. I look at him, he looks at the book, realizes what he has just done, and gets it out of the fire. Lost the entire cover and a bunch of pages. Best laugh I had that holiday, watching him kick out his flaming book.

He had no idea why he threw it in. His enthusiasm got the better of him.
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

Theo
CLIt Licker

Unread post by Theo » Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:12 am

Two books, the one on the right seems to have a 'commander'-like script at the end.
Attachments
boeken.jpg

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:59 pm

What a strange happening Rhow.

franksinistra
Ivana Fukalot

Unread post by franksinistra » Sat Mar 12, 2016 3:12 pm

4 years ago..... iIrc I think that was when the latest a song of ice and fire book released. Dance with Dragons or something like that. Anyway that's quite a story you told us, hahaha
rice no more.

slartie
Grump

Unread post by slartie » Sat Mar 12, 2016 3:19 pm

Currently re-reading:
Dune by Frank Herbert (5th or 6th time or something like that)

Just finished reading:
Seveneves by Neal Stephenson - If you get moist reading super detailed descriptions of whatever sciency stuff the characters are doing, this might get you going. To me it was like watching grass grow. Different strokes.
The Fold by Peter Clines - Great story, but I spoiled it for myself by guessing exactly what would happen.

bones
Clooney

Unread post by bones » Sat Mar 12, 2016 3:32 pm

slartie wrote:Currently re-reading:
Dune by Frank Herbert (5th or 6th time or something like that)
I'm reading it for the first time, can you believe it? And I'm a long-time sci-fi fan! Wtf?

I like it a lot. I will probably go on to read the rest of the F. Herbert series, but not those by his son. Have you read those?

slartie
Grump

Unread post by slartie » Sat Mar 12, 2016 3:39 pm

Brians books have never, to my knowledge, gotten the same rave reviews as Franks books did, but they're all very well written in their own right. So I'd say, give them a shot. I was not disappointed at least. Mileage varies of course.

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:04 pm

forgot to say: I read 'snow crash' by Neal Stephenson.
Really good, read it on ebook, how modern...
Oh also read 'do androids dream of electric sheep' by Philip K. Dick. (what is it with the initialised middle name?)
really good, totally nothing like blade runner, which is nice.
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

slartie
Grump

Unread post by slartie » Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:45 pm

Those two are 'must read' books. Although both come across as quite dated by today's tech standards, they're well worth it.

Edit: Just finished Dune (again), so I've started a re-read of Rendezvous with Rama by Arthur C. Clarke. Another 'must read'. In fact the whole series is.

sgtbigman
Oyster-Slurper

Unread post by sgtbigman » Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:55 pm

Recently finished A Dance with Dragons: great book, but now I have to join the rest of the fanbase to wait for the next book (at least I hopefully won't have to wait as long as some people have!)

Next up is yet another attempt at reading The Silmarillion. I seem to find other books to read before I can get any farther in it, meaning that I've been stuck on the first ~80 pages for years :P

It also seems that I need to add Dune to my list since I'm in the same boat as bones: never read it before!

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:04 am

Finally got my hands on this one. I love Anthony Scott film reviews, and I consider him one of the best film critics around today. I was really looking forward to his book because it is never easy for me to explain what, beyond taste and some technical knowledge, determines my judgement of a film. Not that I usually like reading books telling me what to think, but I respect Scott and for what I've read so far it's a really great book.

bones
Clooney

Unread post by bones » Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:10 pm

sgtbigman wrote:Next up is yet another attempt at reading The Silmarillion. I seem to find other books to read before I can get any farther in it, meaning that I've been stuck on the first ~80 pages for years :P
Same here, I've started it twice. Damn thing is like trying to read the Bible. :)

schmickel
Mr. Saggy Tits

Unread post by schmickel » Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:52 am

I found The Silmarillion easier to read than LoTR, personally. I love LoTR, but I could do without the two page description of the hill they just passed by and what kind of cheese they snacked on. I have the first three books in the Dune series and haven't read them. Read most of Snow Crash before I didn't have time to read and forgot what was going on with the whole Sumerian thing. Have to start over one of these days.
This is my signature