linux-image-4.19.0-13-amd64

Forum rules
We don't support installations in VirtualBox, VMWare, qemu or others. We ignore posts about WINE, PlayOnLinux, Steam and Skype. We don't support btrfs, lvm, UEFI, side-by-side installations with GPT or dualboot with anything newer than Windows XP.
Google your problem first. Check the Wiki. Read the existing threads. It's okay to "hijack" an existing thread, yes! If your problem is not yet covered, open a new thread. To get the quickest possible help, mention the exact release codename in your post (uname -a is a good idea, too). Due to the lack of crystal balls, attach the output of lspci -nnk if you encounter hardware problems.
wuxmedia
Grasshopper

linux-image-4.19.0-13-amd64

Unread post by wuxmedia » Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:37 am

SO I just ran into a shitty kernel bug which bascially kills iwlwifi
Was working fine all yesterday - I can't recall when I upgraded to "4.19.0-13-amd64". But this morning I resumed and no wifi.. didn't seem to want to get anything done :D
So I rebooted and got

Code: Select all

iwlwifi 0000:01:00.0: Error, can not clear persistence bit
On the console. anyway much faffing and I downgraded the kernel to this previous one:

Code: Select all

Linux nargothrond 4.19.0-12-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.19.152-1 (2020-10-18) x86_64 GNU/Linux
And all worked fine. iwlwifi is prevelent on thinkpads - so thought you might like to know.

https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=201469
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Re: linux-image-4.19.0-13-amd64

Unread post by wuxmedia » Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:52 pm

OK it's more to do with the firmware/hardware with the intel chipset.
seems most people just get a fucking new wifi card :/

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:53 pm

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:20 pm

Funny that this happens on Debian stable. I cannot report back because I switched already months ago to the backported more recent kernels in Debian.
I also have iwlwifi and it is indeed Intel specific and I have them on Thinkpads, Dells and HPs. In Debian it comes from non-free.

I would file the bug to Debian but you can try firmware-iwlwifi from backports. Maybe it fixes the problem. I still have no need for newer firmware on my rig.

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:06 am

it's so weird.
if I run it on a slightly earlier kernel (12-11) it's OK ... For a bit. this morning all was normal. then it just stopped and rebooted.
I then tried a usb wifi dongle but that didn't work (another topic) really not sure what to fix.
I will try the backported firmware, then maybe a backported new kernel. what are you running?

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:22 am

Fucking Love you Ivan man!
That (fingers crossed) hasn't broken yet and I'm back on the newer kernel.
Might just move this to the support thread. I'm pretty sure someone will have run into vanilla debian kernel and iwlwifi-firmware
Thanks, I never really tried backports before.

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:41 pm

wuxmedia wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:22 am
Fucking Love you Ivan man!
That (fingers crossed) hasn't broken yet and I'm back on the newer kernel.
Might just move this to the support thread. I'm pretty sure someone will have run into vanilla debian kernel and iwlwifi-firmware
Thanks, I never really tried backports before.
not sure if you got this. you are the man!
I guess I haven't fixed the email thing for the board :D

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:28 am

Hey Wux. Yep, the email system is still broken so I do not get it that fast, patiently waiting for a fix. :) :) But do not worry. I was preoccupied with Christmas and family video conferences.

I only use some of the backports for essential packages and usually never go with a backported kernel but recently I just prefer at least the Debian kernel to be recent and from backports. They work great, have no problems and even add newer features for aging hardware. I run 5.9 and it is better than 4.19 on my hardware. Tlp and wifi works better e.g. That does not mean that the usual kernel from stable is bad though your case makes me wonder.

We should move it to support because it is not really a sid issue.

Edit: I do not use the backported iwlwifi firmware, funny and moved topic to support.

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:43 pm

Thanks Mate, yeah I should look at that. probably need to upgrade the forum too. I'm getting pretty good at doing stuff like that now, so yeah I will plan in a day - I have a week off before commencing the new job
It has been constant for the last few days since I posted. one issue on friday just when I'd finished work. rebooted into the older kernel and it's still running.