Death to the *Noob?

rhowaldt
Dog

Death to the *Noob?

Unread post by rhowaldt » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:52 pm

reposting here as it seems the *noob site gets so little visits lately i haven't even received a reply over there yet...

so, i've been watching the *noob periodically, and still 0 posts. it seems the migration to the BBQ-forums has been succesful for at least the main group of users.
the reason i am posting this is to ask: is there anybody out there who still has a dire need for this place, or are we OK with just letting it be?

of course, in the latter case, we need to talk about doing some migration.

let me know what you think.

http://linuxnoob.freeforums.org/viewtop ... f=11&t=525
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

Titan
なまいき

Re: Death to the *Noob?

Unread post by Titan » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:02 pm

I think the content of the noob forum should be archived here, like the way crunchbang locks the whole sub-forum related to older versions.

Any relevevant threads such as this months scrots/ or tutorials merged into the correct sub-forums.
* Be fat, be as fat as you fucking please, just don't sit next to me on an aeroplane.
* "The sun never sets on the British Empire...." "Yeah, well, the sun never sets on my asshole!!"
* I am an "old skool" administrator who has been managing UNIX and Linux systems since the early 80s <-- big fkin lol

bones
Clooney

Unread post by bones » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:03 pm

I had signed up there AFTER signing up at the BBQ, then realized all the action was here, so I do not go there at all.

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:20 pm

I'd enjoy migrating (if i knew how) the 'latest cli trick you just learnt', that is a great repository.
otherwise let it be, let it be. speaking words of wisdom, let it be.....

@titan - your sigs gorn all weird...
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

DebianJoe
Frame Buffer

Unread post by DebianJoe » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:24 pm

<--Does not care.

Still, many of the "How-To" stickies here point at articles written over there. These would need to be migrated here, or re-linked to the wiki or something so as to not be broken.
|>>BBQ Roaster, Alpha Branch<< | >> clinky << | >> X11 must die << |
Thanks BASIC

Titan
なまいき

Unread post by Titan » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:34 pm

Cheers wux, i just noticed that!
* Be fat, be as fat as you fucking please, just don't sit next to me on an aeroplane.
* "The sun never sets on the British Empire...." "Yeah, well, the sun never sets on my asshole!!"
* I am an "old skool" administrator who has been managing UNIX and Linux systems since the early 80s <-- big fkin lol

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:56 pm

finish her.
..gnutella..

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:19 pm

There are some nice how-to's we could migrate but that would mean work. :D

Besides that, yep, finish her. We can make an announcement that the zombie apocalypse invaded the noob and turned all the mods to undead.

dkeg
Configurator

Unread post by dkeg » Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:07 am

^agreed

Work hard; Complain less

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:12 am

ivanovnegro wrote:that would mean work.
Oh, indeed. Well then let's keep it how it is :D
..gnutella..

vic
Godot

Unread post by vic » Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:43 am

The last time I visited the noob forum there were a sad echo of emptiness filling the whole place. So since evrything is happening here after all, I agree that it is time to close her down. Sigh... all the memories...Is it really necessary to migrate stuff from there over here, could it just not be a read only place? Maybe an article in the wiki with some links to the most important stuff. Oh, that means work...the easiest thing is to just keep it as a read only place. One question though, how important is the important stuff there?
Sorry guys, no signature for a while, too busy with life. :|

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:46 am

Well, we can make it Read-Only, indeed. Or, keep it as an asylum for times when the BBS here is down (happens every few weeks that the server is at shit; not my fault though!)

I'd say: read-only and put the chat box back there.
..gnutella..

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:20 pm

^ seconded.
the chat box was good to see who was about.
would Freeforums delete unused accts?
as i said, i would like the cli thread migrated - or maybe just copy/pasted?

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:18 pm

^ You can do it anytime, dear Mod :)

No, seriously: I have just disabled "new registrations" and put the chatbox back. I'd like to keep the noob as a backup forums, but won't actively post anything over there (like 99% of the people here, I guess).

Rho, I'd say we simply leave her where she is and don't invest any more time into her. We have no way to move posts from there to here (for free), but as long as the noob is still online we can link to posts there.
..gnutella..

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:23 pm

vic wrote:...the easiest thing is to just keep it as a read only place. One question though, how important is the important stuff there?
Read only, perfect.

Nothing is that important, the most important stuff is already in our wiki. If I have time or I feel we miss something, I will copy/paste some stuff into our how-to section here.

@Dkeg, just take the CLI shit e.g.
machinebacon wrote:
I'd say: read-only and put the chat box back there.
Yep. :)

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:59 am

agreed on all accounts. indeed the reason i spoke of migration is for those tidbits like the CLI shit and probably some others too. i'd prefer if, when humanly possible (ie not too much work for that particular time of day), people would not link to the noob in posts, but instead link to the wiki or maybe do the little work and copy-paste a how-to or whatever to the BBQ forums. this is probably my OCD-mind talking, but i really like keeping shit in one (or two) places, and if the *noob is gonna be a backup-thingy let's not treat it like a knowledge-base. everything in its right place.

i'll see if i can do some of that work Ivan is so scared of today ;)
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

dkeg
Configurator

Unread post by dkeg » Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:20 pm

so for example are we talking creating a CLIshit, or whatever topic here, as a 'how to' here and doing some c/p of of the content here? That seems it would work. Can some of us have MOD rights over there so we can go into *edit* mode to more easily cp the content out?

might be a good idea to post what you've done so we don't mistakenly duplicate efforts.

Work hard; Complain less

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:52 pm

i've added the CLIshit shit to the Wiki, checked that Ivan's how-to's on Moc, Mplayer and MPD are on the Wiki (they are now), and added the GUI alternatives shit to the Wiki. also see the Wiki thread for that same info :D

been looking around the noobforums and haven't seen much other stuff that desperately needs copying. for more CLI tricks i'd suggest whoever has the inclination creates a new thread over here, and we'll continue from there - i could link it on the Wiki in the new article.

if anybody has other stuff they want to see migrated, let me know and i'll look at it (or DIY ofcourse).

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:50 pm

i have the inCLInation. see what i did there?
anyway i figured howtos was the most obvious place to put it.

vic
Godot

Unread post by vic » Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:36 am

R.I.P
Sorry guys, no signature for a while, too busy with life. :|